Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Does anynone have before/after Alignment numbers?

Old 02-28-2007, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anynone have before/after Alignment numbers?

Does anyone have any before and after alignment numbers in regards to their different lifts?

I was just wondering how much the caster changes for a .75", 1.75", 2.00", 2.50", 3.00", and 4.00"?

I think it'd be good information to have for everyone thinking about a lift in regards to what else we might need to buy, ie. control arms, drop brackets, etc.

I know some kits come complete, but I think some of the budget kits are on the edge of not being quite right, meaning, you might have to buy addtional items.

Thanks~
Old 02-28-2007, 10:57 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it is a good idea also.

I want about 2-2.5in of lift, but i want it done right the first time, i dont want to be piece-mealing a suspension together for the next 6-12months. Buying this control arm or that bar or so and so's bracket...

I know the budget boosts are supposed to be low cost starting points, but there isnt anything low cost about buying it, doing an alignment, finding out i actually need part "X" to make it right, doing an alignment... finding out i now need part "Y" to go with part "X" to make it all function, oh and then do an alignment... As fun as that can be to do, and have stuff to fiddle with, there is NO WAY that will fly by the prettier half. I can get away with that on my motorcycle, but not on the Jeep, she needs to drive it sometimes.

I would rather wait & save the cash up to do it all at once and be done with it (so i can piece-meal other stuff onto it )
Old 02-28-2007, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
.... finding out i actually need part "X" to make it right, doing an alignment... finding out i now need part "Y" to go with part "X" to make it all function....
And don't forget you need to put parts Z, W, G, and A together to make a complete part X.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AZCA jeeper
And don't forget you need to put parts Z, W, G, and A together to make a complete part X.
lol, exactly.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am watching these kind of threads as well. I put in a Superlift 2" budget boost and even with that, I think I need some caster adjustment. It seems to be a little darty now, not bad enough to be dangerous though. It has been suggested to put cam bolts in the lowers to help, but I am waiting to see what other folks do. Numbers would be good to know to see if cams or arms would be best.
Jim
Old 02-28-2007, 11:14 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I think it is a good idea also.

I want about 2-2.5in of lift, but i want it done right the first time, i dont want to be piece-mealing a suspension together for the next 6-12months. Buying this control arm or that bar or so and so's bracket...

I know the budget boosts are supposed to be low cost starting points, but there isnt anything low cost about buying it, doing an alignment, finding out i actually need part "X" to make it right, doing an alignment... finding out i now need part "Y" to go with part "X" to make it all function, oh and then do an alignment... As fun as that can be to do, and have stuff to fiddle with, there is NO WAY that will fly by the prettier half. I can get away with that on my motorcycle, but not on the Jeep, she needs to drive it sometimes.

I would rather wait & save the cash up to do it all at once and be done with it (so i can piece-meal other stuff onto it )
I semi agree. We are all kind of the proving ground for this thing. Realistically, you need to do the complete ultimate lift to get it right the first time. Unfortunately, some of us are impatient and couldn't wait for parts to become available. Which is a good thing for the rest of you. So we are all finding out for you guys what is the bare minimum you can get away with.

I agree about the wife thing. She likes hearing words like "ECONOMY" LIFT though. She hasn't driven mine yet because I told her she won't like the feel until I add a few more items. That has been a good thing for me as well. I adjusted the seat once and that has been where it has stayed. It doesn't get too much better than than that.

By the way, I haven't spent a dime on alignments yet. The caster is the only thing that needs the adjustment, and as long as you make the control arms the same length it is pretty much a feel thing. Can't go by factory numbers because I don't feel there was enough caster stock. Mine had 32" tires on it someone elses come with 28's, that in itself should offer a different caster setting.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:20 AM
JK Jedi

Did I mention I am enjoying the whole process of learning as I go. Only way to learn it is to do it. How many holes can a guy drill in his mirrors before he needs to move on to something more challenging? How many Clackey, how many?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Who sells these "cam bolts"?? I haven't seem advertised anywhere?

They sound kinda dangerous.

husky~
Old 02-28-2007, 11:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 100dollarman
I agree with most everything said. I have been piecing mine together for a month. Maybe not done yet!

Like I have stated in an earlier post "no one will be happy with a 3" econo kit"
I'm confused by your comments. I'm not new to Jeeps and I do understand lifts and alignment, but I run a 2.5 lift with an added 3/4 spacer up front and I am very happy with it. i do not have new control arms and I personally do not believe they are needed for a lift of that level. My Jeep is smoother than stock and tracks as good as stock. So how can you say "no one will be happy with a 3" econo lift"? Is this what you learned on the internet or is this true experience?
Old 02-28-2007, 12:42 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by 100dollarman

Well maybe I should not have said "no one" since yours drives well. I think you are the exception. This is from personal experience (my JK) and also what other peeps have told me about their JK.

Before I lifted my Jeep I didnt think 3" was going to change how it drove much...but it did! It was terribly squirrely! I have added adj arms for caster, adj frt trac bar.. These have helped very very much.

I am now going to ask the question----- Is anyone that has installed the 3" econo Full traction lift only- happy with the way it drives?

What I meant was no one would be happy with that econo kit if their JK drove as badly as mine did.

I hope this clears my stance on it somewhat! And I really would like to hear if anyone is happy with the econo (without adding extra parts like arms, bars, etc.)
Who you callin' a peep?

I agree, it's hard for me to believe others don't have the same issues. I know exactly what you speak of. I don't think it has anything to do with the brand of lift kit either. Going up 3" is gonna bring your axles in which has to change the angle of the caster. Without new control arms (or cams) there is no way to change that. Mine didn't have enough to start with. Could this be a Rubicon specific thing? What would be a difference once you change coils and shocks that would affect the suspension.

Looking forward to seeing other replies.

Quick Reply: Does anynone have before/after Alignment numbers?