Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Does any one else make a JKS style control arm?

Old 12-28-2009, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for the input on the jks ca
Old 12-28-2009, 02:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by style_front
What is the SC arm? I was tracking with SL then you said SC, typo?
Yeah, you combine a holiday weekend with another late night and the letters all star to blur.

I meant SL.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
johnny joints are great and will provide bind free flex. however, they are a hard joint and do need greasing. bonded rubber bushings require NO maintenance and depending on the amount of flex you have, will easily outlast a johnny joint.

on the ramp, the difference you'd see would be negligible. in long term testing, there is no question that you would need to grease the johnny joints on a regular basis and honestly, that totally fine by me. likewise, you would most likely have to rebuild them long before the rubber bushings go out and again, that would be fine by me. i like bind free flex especially being that i run coilovers. however, rubber will offer up a nicer ride and will stay squeak free.

actually, it's not a heim but a rebuildable spherical joint much like a johnny in fact, the TF arms have a rubber bushing on the frame end just like a JKS arm. the reason why manufacturers use spherical joints and rod ends is because they provide a greater amount of bind free flex compared to a rubber bushings. HOWEVER, the rotating arms are designed to help get around the bind issue. as far as maintenace goes, no, there is a difference between having to grease your joints several times a year to help prevent wear and squeaks and having to replace a bushing after 200,000 miles or more. i think the real issue here is that no part comes without it's share of benefits and drawbacks.
Well this clears alot up actually. I've always sort of wondered what the difference is between heims and johnny joints, but never got around to doing the real research involved.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:03 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by joneszj
Well this clears alot up actually. I've always sort of wondered what the difference is between heims and johnny joints, but never got around to doing the real research involved.
yeah, heims are typically a lot smaller with much tighter tollerance and are non-serviceable but then, they don't need it. there are a few swaybar links that use these for joints. the really big looking heims like what full traction uses are rod ends. johnny joints or the like are large and are assembled together. these need regular greasing and can be rebuilt.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a topic worth discussing because adjustable CAs are increasing popular and the joints at the ends are one of the biggest differentiating factors between brands.

Notice the black 2 part bushing at the top and how the joint can be disassembled by removing the snap ring.

The Heim joint does not have a bushing and is pressed in.

The joint in the pic must be an early model where the Zerk is in the bolt, all of the new ones I have seen have it in the housing; like the last pic.

Below are pics of a typically Heim Joint and a Johnny Joint.

BTW, I was in a 4WD store this morning and as usual I was looking at all of the suspension systems they have on display from the different manufacturers.

If you are undecided about which suspension system to buy (including CAs) just get up close and personal a few different systems and you will see very obvious differences in manufacturing quality, design and even finishes.
This may help you make your final decision and sway you away or towards the lowest cost components.

Quick Reply: Does any one else make a JKS style control arm?