Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do youRemove stock tire carrier for new one

Old 07-23-2009, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do youRemove stock tire carrier for new one

This probably is a dumb one but I got my new rear bumper with tire carrier today and plan to mount it Saturday so tonight I took off the spare tire but never really knew what a contraption that is that it's hung to. Does that stay on the tailgate w/brake light or come off do you think the new bumper came with plugs to fill the holes? How about the brake light it's all part of the same thing.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2009, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

With any tire carrier, you will not be able to get the tire carrier close to the tail gate without the stock carrier removed. So yes, it needs to come off.

It looks like most do away with the third brake light, not sure what the law is on this. If you want a third light, you could wire up a round one and put it where the center cap on the wheel would be.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:20 PM
JK Super Freak

When you unclip the the third brake light wire, just tuck it into the vent of your tailgate. That's what I did.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do check the laws first. In some places you can't pass inspection without it. Some carriers/license plate holders have the lights built into them. To bring out another perspective, the third brake light isn't some government conspiracy so satellites can track you or something. They're on there so the dumbass behind you can see you're actually putting your brakes on. They have cut down considerably on rear end collisions. And yes to your question take the OEM carrier off and just put those same bolts back in the holes to plug them.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:36 PM
JK Jedi

yes take it off and put the bolts back in
Old 07-24-2009, 02:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wildandwillin
yes take it off and put the bolts back in

That works for me...Thanks

Now I just hope I don't have some of the trouble others have been having with the latching lever on the bumper.. I got the Smitty but waited about a month for it to get here. Was on back order so maybe it's out of a new corrected batch..

Quick Reply: Do youRemove stock tire carrier for new one