Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do you plow with your JK?

Old 10-08-2015, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be happy to help...been plowing with Jeeps for 14 years now. Started with a TJ Sahara and a Meyer plow. Nice to have the versatility of a short wheel base but the 2 door was too light at times. I could have put sand in the back but never got around to it. And the Meyer plow was absolute junk. It was ok the first two years when it was new but did not hold up well. Solenoids, hand held controller. All junk. The TJ was a dedicated plow Jeep vehicle and developed a bad rust problem from sitting too long. Shame.

Decided to add a plow to my JK which is my daily driver and have never looked back. The weight of the JK makes it a much better choice than the TJ and I'm now using a 7'6" full size plow (not the shortened version like the Meyer) and went with a stainless steel Snowdogg. It's been the bomb! I think I am going on 6 years now and have not had one issue with the plow, even after last years dismal winter. It's used to plow my 700' driveway which is scary steep in places.

I don't use v bar chains - I use SC Cable Chains on the rear wheels. Gives me the traction I need and does not tear up my driveway. I always keep them in the back seat because you can drive on roads around here with them if you need to.

I have learned not to ask for more from my Jeep than it can deliver. I try to keep up with storms and not plow more than a foot at a time and at the end of my driveway I do my best to stack the snow but when we get a lot like last year I pay a front end loader guy $30 to move the piles. Last year I had to do this 2x because of all the snow we got in NH. Stacking seems to put the most stress on the Jeep. Plowing is easy, at least for me because I am really only pushing snow down the driveway and shooting it off to the sides. I do not plow going up the driveway.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally bought a compact 30 HP 4wd tractor with a loader and blade. Used to have a pickup and plow but the tractor is handy for summer jobs too.

Apart from the stress on the Jeep, it seems like unless you found just the right setup you would have the plow attachment points hanging down under the Jeep, making it unacceptable for taking off road.

Quick Reply: Do you plow with your JK?