Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do you have a winch lock?

Old 05-26-2014, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gforce!
I have heard of people welding the nuts or something to keep them from turning. If you don't plan on removing your bumper, this may be something to look at. I personally don't have a winch, it's just something a friend brought up in a conversation one day
Exactly what I did. Just tack welded the nuts to the bolts. I mean, if they really want the winch, they'll steal the whole jeep and just dis-assemble it I suppose. Welding made sense to me.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RodCyn
I have the same bumper. I don't have or felt the need for a locking bolt. I'm more worried they'll go after my intensity lights first (1 costs more than my winch) Do you have the skid plate? Mine covers the winch bolts. You have to remove the cover first, to get to the winch. Here's an older photo, but it shows the skid plate.
Great feedback across the board, Thanks.

Yeah, I thought the skid plate on the LOD will make it more difficult, but that said my goal is simply to make it more difficult from the average thief. If someone is carrying around an F55 key,k then they will probably know enough to simply steal the jeep (thus I have a club to deter more). This was helpful to confirm my thoughts, but has anyone has their winch stolen, is it typically a target? I agree with one poster about the lights. That is my next purchase so I will be equally worried about securing them.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree that the LoD skid makes it more work.

I use the F55 Prolink and if I have to park somewhere that I'm worried about someone taking the winch, I wind the winch in tighter to put a lot of pressure on the line. If someone attempts to take it, they will get a 65lb Engo right in the face
Old 05-27-2014, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tack weld that you can grind off if need be. That is the best solution and been around for years. You can do it yourself with a car battery and a nickel and jumper cables. Just don't use your jeeps battery and disconnect the battery in your jeep before you do it.

Quick Reply: Do you have a winch lock?