Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do you have a winch lock?

Old 05-26-2014, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you have a winch lock?

Just installed my new LOD shorty bumper with Engo 10k winch. I occasionally need to park at a train station or overnight at airport. Is the winch prone to theft? Should I purchase the winch lock bolt F55?

Let me know thoughts..
Old 05-26-2014, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbogan
Just installed my new LOD shorty bumper with Engo 10k winch. I occasionally need to park at a train station or overnight at airport. Is the winch prone to theft? Should I purchase the winch lock bolt F55?

Let me know thoughts..
It's a 25 dollar Chinese bolt. If it makes you sleep better at night. I got one for my winch.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the f55. I have a cover over my warn but I let the lock stick out. It's another step of removal so....
Old 05-26-2014, 07:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put two F55 bolts on my winch. Opposing corners. Fact is, Anyone can buy an F55 bolt and use the key to get your winch off. The only true way to not have one stolen is to not install a winch.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

I have heard of people welding the nuts or something to keep them from turning. If you don't plan on removing your bumper, this may be something to look at. I personally don't have a winch, it's just something a friend brought up in a conversation one day
Old 05-26-2014, 07:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No lock here. Entire bumper would have to be removed. If they want it that bad they can have it. Plus that's what insurance is for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while wrenching on my Jeep.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

What he said^^^^^^if they want the thing bad enough then I will call my insurance guy. Besides the winch was free
They steal it, I get a better one.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbogan

Let me know thoughts..
I have the same bumper. I don't have or felt the need for a locking bolt. I'm more worried they'll go after my intensity lights first (1 costs more than my winch)

Do you have the skid plate? Mine covers the winch bolts. You have to remove the cover first, to get to the winch.

Here's an older photo, but it shows the skid plate.

Last edited by RodCyn; 05-26-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Yep x3 on that. They would have to remove the bumper to get it.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:33 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm in the same boat, just had my lightbar stolen and getting security nuts for everything except the winch. To get the winch they would need to remove the skid plate or they would need to remove the fairlead completely which is not bad, but can't see someone going through all the trouble just to see if there are security nuts there or not when I have (or will) on the lights.

Quick Reply: Do you have a winch lock?