Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do i regear or not!?

Old 08-27-2012, 05:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dellpjJK
If 35 is all the bigger you are ever going, then get 4.56. You'll be very happy on the highway with them as well. If you might go bigger, or dont care about the highway rpms, then put in 4.88s. Eitherway, youre better than with the 3.73s.
U just put 37s on my mind :o
Old 08-27-2012, 05:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheTerminator

Forget about 6th gear. Now your outstanding gear is 5th.

Most likely because you're in a wrong gear, like 6th on the highway. Drop it to 5th and watch the mileage rise. I lost only maybe 1mpg or less on highway when I went to 35's, and that's on auto tranny too.

I suggest you get a new shifter knob, that shows the 5 gear transmission shift layout

This is true even on stock tires.

It's worth it if you need to engine brake on steep descents, or if you just need better 1st gear performance. For all other gears it doesn't make much sense, as you can choose your own optimal gear for whatever speed/conditions you're at. Keep in mind on automatics, 1st gear is much worse than on manuals. Even with 35's, your 1st gear is still better than an auto's and stock 32's tires. However, there are other ways to get even better 1st gear performance on the trail (than regearing), and that is by switching to a Rubicon t-case or Atlas t-case (or Rubicrawler for autos). Of course, having both will be even better, but I'm sure money is limited for most people.

Only if you're lugging your engine. You could lug your engine even with 4.88 gears, no problem, too.
I appreciate your advice and your different approach than others, especially because my thread did ask doe both opinions, mbut it seems to me like you're trying to convince me to put up with my gearing instead of fixing it. To just live with the fact I bought a 6soeed and now own a 5speed. Can see where you are coming from but it sill doesn't tell me why I wouldn't regear..unless I wanted to "forget" and just ignore that my gears are not optimal.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepwave
I appreciate your advice and your different approach than others, especially because my thread did ask doe both opinions, mbut it seems to me like you're trying to convince me to put up with my gearing instead of fixing it.
There are 2 ways of fixing it. One is spending a lot of money. Second is downshifting, which is exactly what regearing does. As I've said, 1st gear is the only reason you'd want to regear, 'cause you cannot downshift any more. If you feel that 1st gear is worth to you the price of a regear, then go ahead and regear. If 1st gear isn't a concern, then regearing is same as swapping out rear cogs on a bicycle just 'cause you went to a bigger tire. Most people would just downshift. It gives the same or better output gear ratio.

To just live with the fact I bought a 6soeed and now own a 5speed. Can see where you are coming from but it sill doesn't tell me why I wouldn't regear..unless I wanted to "forget" and just ignore that my gears are not optimal.
Not too long ago most manuals were 5 speed transmissions. There weren't any issues back then. Why would it be an issue now, I don't know. My auto is only a 3 speed transmission (OD is a thing of the past), and I'm totally fine. Could be better with 1 extra gear, but it's nothing to cry about. And you have 2 more gears, so....
Old 08-27-2012, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ghostjk
So he should spend two grand on an atlas transfer case and install instead of gearing his jeep to the correct gear set for his tire size? When the average cost of a regear is 1000 bucks including install and parts?
I said Atlas will give him better 1st gear performance than a regear. Hence, the higher price. It's just a different, and a better option, if he can justify the price. Plus, he could get some money back on his current t-case by selling it. Also, keep in mind that prices in Canada are considerably higher than down in the States. And even in the States average cost of regearing is usually upwards of $1500. In Canada I'm sure it will be upwards of $2000.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Doc_D
+1
There are probably 1000+ posts on this forum from people who have regeared and are extremely happy with the results.
Of course they'd be happy, 'cause they can continue driving the way they drove before. Without regearing, you need to learn a new way of driving, and as it seems right now, some people have extreme difficulties in doing so, and/or are just plain ignorant.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepwave
Thanks man. My guy tells me I'm fine without regearing..but I feel like everyone else is saying REGEAR!!

Looking for any experience of people who have had similar set ups and regeared
I have same Jeep, model and also 6 spd trans.
Been running 35's on 3 1/2" lift for 25,000 miles with many wheelin' trips added in.
The Jeep is also my DD and does fine with the gears that are on it now, if (or I should say when) I break something in the front or want to add lockers I may consider 4.88's then, but I like it the way it is now!
Old 08-27-2012, 06:58 AM
JK Freak

There are 2 ways of fixing it. One is spending a lot of money. Second is downshifting, which is exactly what regearing does. As I've said, 1st gear is the only reason you'd want to regear, 'cause you cannot downshift any more.
You have a fundemental misunderstanding if you think the only difference is in first gear performance. When you go to larger tires each gear covers a wider speed range. The rpm increase/decrease between each gear becomes larger. That basically means your close ratio transmission becomes a wide ratio transmission.

There is a lot more to regearing than just first gear performance.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Doc_D
You have a fundemental misunderstanding if you think the only difference is in first gear performance. When you go to larger tires each gear covers a wider speed range. The rpm increase/decrease between each gear becomes larger. That basically means your close ratio transmission becomes a wide ratio transmission.

There is a lot more to regearing than just first gear performance.
Yes, a bit wider, but what's the big deal? You stay longer in 1st gear, don't use last gear. You upshift 500 rpm or so higher, same as you would with lower diff gears. Everything else stays the same. By shifting less, you also put less stress on the transmission. This is especially true for an auto, as it tends to overheat with lots of shifting.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

The terminator doesn't understand how gearing works and is repeatedly giving bad advice. If you look at his post 90% of them are on upgrading the "sound system". He seems to think all you gotta do is down shift.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 AM
JK Freak

Yes, a bit wider, but what's the big deal? You stay longer in 1st gear, don't use last gear. You upshift 500 rpm or so higher, same as you would with lower diff gears. Everything else stays the same. By shifting less, you also put less stress on the transmission. This is especially true for an auto, as it tends to overheat with lots of shifting.
An auto on big tires and stock gears will shift WAY more than a regeared rig. When you are on stock gears and big tires with an auto it will continuously shift into and out of overdrive.

I've owned both stock gearing and steeper gearing. I can say without a doubt that regearing improves performance and driveability across the board.

The 3.8 liter performance is already marginal. Why would you want to hamper it even more with inappropriate gearing?

I really have no desire to change your mind. But I want to make sure that Jeepwave isn't getting bad info.

Lets say have two identical 6 speed jeeps with 35 inch tires one with 4.88s and one with 3.73s. The bottom line is that the one with 4.88s will out accelerate the one with 3.73s. The one with 4.88s will crawl better than the one with 3.73s. The one with 4.88s will engine brake better than 3.73s. These are tangible mathematic facts.

Intangibly the driveability is much better because the gear spacing is closer. Actually this could be mathematically shown as well but I really have no desire to draw up the graphs to help you visualize it.

Last edited by Doc_D; 08-27-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Do i regear or not!?