Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do i regear or not!?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 410's

Originally Posted by Doc_D
I had a 6 speed rubi with 4.10s. When I went to 35s I felt it was barely liveable. I'm not sure how you do it with 3.73s.

I have 4.88s now and love them. I would definitely suggest regearing. You will not regret it. I'd go with 4.56s if you do a lot of highway driving. I'd do 4.88s if you don't.

Seriously your theoretical top speed with 35s and 3.73s in 6th gear at 6,000 RPM is 200 MPH. That's just a silly how excessively tall your gears are.

If the fact that 6th gear is useless doesn't tell you something is wrong nothing will. I'll say it again. You will NEVER regret regearing to something like 4.56s. You will love 4.88s as long as you aren't on the highway for hours each day. Don't bother with 4.10s, they will still be way too tall.
I went from 373's to 410's in a 3/4 ton dodge ram. Big waste of money the rpm differance was less than 200 and the pulling power was hardly noticeable. The mpg was the same. If your going to be a bear be a grizzly
Old 08-26-2012, 08:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepwave
At the moment I don't do highway driving but in the near future I may...

What does 4.88 feel like on highway? Just high rpm or...?
Around here traffic on the highways moves along at 80 mph. At 80 mph I'm probably at 2,900 rpm. There's nothing wrong with that and it won't hurt the vehicle. But it does feel a little buzzy. It's absolutely zero issue. But if I was a sales person who was on the highway for hours every day or I drove cross country then 4.56s might make highway driving a little more relaxed and comfortable.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

I should also mention that regearing isn't just about improving performance in a 6 speed. It's about overall driveability. When I was running 35s and 4.10s and was in slow moving traffic I'd have to be on the clutch and off the clutch constantly with lots of slipping because 1st gear was effectively too tall to drive at slow speeds. Now with 4.88s I can drive along at 1 - 2 mph with the completely clutch out with no problem.

I also hardly have to slip the clutch at all to get the rig moving from a dead stop. I can actually very easily get the truck moving without touching the throttle and barely slipping the clutch. So your clutch will thank you too.

With 4.88s I actually have the option of using 1st or 2nd gear from a stop.

When I was on 4.10s the gears were spaced too far apart. I'd often find myself cruising at a speed that was too fast for one gear but too slow for the next. I'd upshift, the jeep would bog down and I'd immediately have to downshift again. That never happens with 4.88s.

Crawling and engine breaking in 4 low is vastly improved as well. My crawl with my 4:1 t-case is nuts
Old 08-26-2012, 08:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Doc_D
I should also mention that regearing isn't just about improving performance in a 6 speed. It's about overall driveability. When I was running 35s and 4.10s and was in slow moving traffic I'd have to be on the clutch and off the clutch constantly with lots of slipping because 1st gear was effectively too tall to drive at slow speeds. Now with 4.88s I can drive along at 1 - 2 mph with the completely clutch out with no problem.

I also hardly have to slip the clutch at all to get the rig moving from a dead stop. I can actually very easily get the truck moving without touching the throttle and barely slipping the clutch. So your clutch will thank you too.

With 4.88s I actually have the option of using 1st or 2nd gear from a stop.

When I was on 4.10s the gears were spaced too far apart. I'd often find myself cruising at a speed that was too fast for one gear but too slow for the next. I'd upshift, the jeep would bog down and I'd immediately have to downshift again. That never happens with 4.88s.

Crawling and engine breaking in 4 low is vastly improved as well. My crawl with my 4:1 t-case is nuts
My crawl with 3.73 is messed up!!!! I swear at one point crawling down a rocky hill I almost thought I wasn't even in 4lo. My buddy was like wow what'd you do throw it in neutral and let her roll?. Nope. Just doesn't crawl very nicely.

Good info here, thanks.

Stuck between 456 and 488 but honestly I'm thinking 488 is what I'll end up doing.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:37 PM
JK Freak

If you had 2012 you could get away with 3.73's, with a 2009 (I believe you said) 4.56's is the absolute minimum I would run.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:35 PM
JK Freak

I'm running a 3.5" lift on 35s. Its an 09 and I have 3.73 gear ratio right now.

Here's how I feel. When it was stock, things felt more...loose. And 6th gear was outstanding.
Forget about 6th gear. Now your outstanding gear is 5th.

Right now, my gears are very bareable. I noticed a huge mpg drop but I don't care.
Most likely because you're in a wrong gear, like 6th on the highway. Drop it to 5th and watch the mileage rise. I lost only maybe 1mpg or less on highway when I went to 35's, and that's on auto tranny too.

It's a jeep and I signed up for that. However 6th gear doesn't exist. Not a chance. Even if I'm doing 120 KM/H my rpms shoot low enough I have to downshift.
I suggest you get a new shifter knob, that shows the 5 gear transmission shift layout

I went to a pretty big jeep event last month where I got to test my rig on some tougher trails. I felt like I could climb rocks fine. It was steady in first gear and climbed pretty well. But steep uphill trails was tough. Felt like it really needed a push.
This is true even on stock tires.

But here's what I noticed most : my compression braking was pretty crappy compared to wehn I had 32s. When I would throw it in 4lo and try to crawl down a hill it went faster than I would have liked.

What's your opinions? Should I regear to 4.88 or is it just not worth it?
It's worth it if you need to engine brake on steep descents, or if you just need better 1st gear performance. For all other gears it doesn't make much sense, as you can choose your own optimal gear for whatever speed/conditions you're at. Keep in mind on automatics, 1st gear is much worse than on manuals. Even with 35's, your 1st gear is still better than an auto's and stock 32's tires. However, there are other ways to get even better 1st gear performance on the trail (than regearing), and that is by switching to a Rubicon t-case or Atlas t-case (or Rubicrawler for autos). Of course, having both will be even better, but I'm sure money is limited for most people.

Also are the 3.73 putting stress on my tranny or engine? Mathematically it seems like it would be..
Only if you're lugging your engine. You could lug your engine even with 4.88 gears, no problem, too.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:38 PM
JK Freak

My crawl with 3.73 is messed up!!!! I swear at one point crawling down a rocky hill I almost thought I wasn't even in 4lo. My buddy was like wow what'd you do throw it in neutral and let her roll?. Nope. Just doesn't crawl very nicely.
There will always be hills too steep to engine brake. I'm sure if you regear, you'll find them as well.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

So he should spend two grand on an atlas transfer case and install instead of gearing his jeep to the correct gear set for his tire size? When the average cost of a regear is 1000 bucks including install and parts?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ghostjk
So he should spend two grand on an atlas transfer case and install instead of gearing his jeep to the correct gear set for his tire size? When the average cost of a regear is 1000 bucks including install and parts?

+1

There is a lot of silly advice in this thread from people who haven't regeared and are trying to rationalize their decision.

There are probably 1000+ posts on this forum from people who have regeared and are extremely happy with the results. In all the regear threads I remember exactly 1 person who wasn't happy. If i remember correctly he was running 33 inch tires and a 6 speed and put 5.13s in. That was just lack of running the numbers on his part.

In my opinion if you haven't regeared you probably shouldn't be giving advice since you haven't lived with the jeep both ways.

If there is someone who has regeared and isn't happy with it they should definitely chime in and give Jeepwave your opinion.

Last edited by Doc_D; 08-27-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

If 35 is all the bigger you are ever going, then get 4.56. You'll be very happy on the highway with them as well. If you might go bigger, or dont care about the highway rpms, then put in 4.88s. Eitherway, youre better than with the 3.73s.

Quick Reply: Do i regear or not!?