Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do i need wheel spacers

Old 10-13-2019, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I'm with you on this. For many things, lesser quality (or unknown quality) may work perfectly fine, and if the product turns out to be sub-par, it may just be an annoyance. But for other things, like a tire coming off at freeway speeds because the company was looking to save a buck? That doesn't quite fall into the same category for me. (the inferior grade bolts being passed off as 'quality' from the linked thread is a good example here.) I could very well be over-thinking it, but I went for what I saw as a better quality product with spidertrax.
Good point nthinuf, I literally started driving to the shop to get the spacers until I got the notification for your response. It changed my mind and I will order spacers from a company in another state who sells synergy ones I believe.

Last edited by Juweinat1; 10-13-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Juweinat1
Good point nthinuf, I literally started driving to the shop to get the spacers until I got the notification for your response. It changed my mind and I will order spacers from a company in another state who sells synergy ones I believe.
I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned it yet but what you really want to be doing is looking into new wheels with 4.5in backspacing or less.

Many of us have run spacers, myself included. I still have a full set of 1.5in Spidertrax spacers that I need to get rid of one of these days. Anyways, while a good set of spacers such as Spidertrax or Synergy will do what you need, the better solution is to not have to deal with the spacers at all. It's just one more thing to maintain and one more additional point of potential failure. The only reason to get these in my opinion is if you really want to keep a particular wheel, but if not, then look into getting new wheels with the proper back spacing which for what you're looking at should be a wheel with 4.5in BS and a 5x5 bolt pattern in a 17in diameter.

Unsure of your prices where you're at but Spidertrax spacers run around $100 per spacer in the U.S. You can find good replacement wheels for $100-$150 each. So in my opinion, getting spacers doesn't make much sense if you're trying to save money and are only useful if you really have your heart set on keeping a particular factory wheel.

Last edited by Rednroll; 10-14-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:18 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I always run two sets of tires and use both Spidertrax spacers and stock rims with 285/75-17 are a perfect set up (have run this with both Cooper st maxx's and Toyo tires). Hard to beat the quality of a stock rim and you end up with ~4.75 backspacing. I run a set of 35x12.5 tires on AEV rims that have 5.2" backspacing. I like the bigger tires tucked in a bit and the skinner ones moved out a bit simply for looks. Both end up about even with the flares. If you don't have tires yet in 285/75-17 you could get some 255/80-17 which are nearly as tall as the 285/75-17 and work great with no spacers if you like the pizza cutter look. I am currently running those in Falken at3w and they work great with a 2" lift.

Quick Reply: Do i need wheel spacers