Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do i need wheel spacers

Old 10-12-2019, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do i need wheel spacers

I just installed a 2inch lift & wonder if I need wheel spacers to run 33.8 inch 285 75r17 tyres?
Old 10-12-2019, 07:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Yes you should be looking at wheel adapters if you are doing more then driving on the road.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Yes you should be looking at wheel adapters if you are doing more then driving on the road.
1 or 1.5 inches?
Old 10-12-2019, 12:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Juweinat1
1 or 1.5 inches?
1.5" - 2" is the popular range. You want the type with two sets of bolts, not the thin ones that sandwich in-between and leave the lugnuts fewer threads to grab onto. Of that style, 1.25" is the narrowest that I have seen (Teraflex), but they caution that being that narrow, the lugs may need to be trimmed a bit. So go for 1.5", like the SpiderTrax.

Another option that some folks try is to add a washer or two to the steer stops - if the rubbing is minor.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-12-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
1.5" - 2" is the popular range. You want the type with two sets of bolts, not the thin ones that sandwich in-between and leave the lugnuts fewer threads to grab onto. Of that style, 1.25" is the narrowest that I have seen (Teraflex), but they caution that being that narrow, the lugs may need to be trimmed a bit. So go for 1.5", like the SpiderTrax.

Another option that some folks try is to add a washer or two to the steer stops - if the rubbing is minor.
Thanks!
Are these any good or no? This shop is local to me and I can get them much quicker I believe otherwise spiderTrax it is

https://bsawheels.com.au/shop/access...rs-with-bolts/
Old 10-12-2019, 07:18 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I'd highly suggest not to go with those. Spidertrax or Synergy.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I disagree those look high quality, I’m pretty sure they have a great reputation in Australia similar what BORA has here.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

My take on it is that, other than sending them off for a metallurgical analysis yourself, there really isn't any way you can know for sure.

Posts 9 and 38 in this thread have reports from forum members on two other brands.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...safety-130315/

Here in the states, Spidertrax has a good reputation, and the analysis that was reported in that thread seems to back up the quality. Down in Australia, BSA could have just as good of a rep and we don't hear the name. I guess the moral of the story was noted in post 38. Just because a manufacturer talks up their own products and lists a certain quality of material, doesn't necessarily mean it meets that standard.

(And as was brought up in a few previous posts on the subject, just because a quality spacer was bought, doesn't mean that it was actually installed correctly, or that the owner didn't forget about them and they loosened up later. Just a friendly reminder to not forget they are installed...)
Old 10-13-2019, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

All good points by nthinuf.

I keep forgetting OP is international and has different obstacles to overcome in regard to availability. Doesn't change my opinion, but I understand the questioning.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:19 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by resharp001
Doesn't change my opinion, but I understand the questioning.
I'm with you on this. For many things, lesser quality (or unknown quality) may work perfectly fine, and if the product turns out to be sub-par, it may just be an annoyance. But for other things, like a tire coming off at freeway speeds because the company was looking to save a buck? That doesn't quite fall into the same category for me. (the inferior grade bolts being passed off as 'quality' from the linked thread is a good example here.) I could very well be over-thinking it, but I went for what I saw as a better quality product with spidertrax.

Quick Reply: Do i need wheel spacers