Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I need a spare tire carrier support?

Old 01-14-2016, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are going to need something as your spare will most likely not fit on the mount any more due to the backspacing and diameter. When I purchased my '12 with 35s on it, someone had just put a wheel spacer on the mount to push the tire out. It fit fine and worked ok for the last 15,000+ miles. It made noises, vibrated and I added extended stops to help with that. I had no bending tailgate/broken weld issues. I ended up going the teraflex mount and hinge route. Couldn't be happier. Much more solid. The Rugged Ridge mount is a copy of the teraflex mount. I'm sure it will work, but I think the jury is still out on the build quality. The teraflex mount has proven itself.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds great!! Thank you!! Tires will be 34.8ish tall.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't "Need" it ... you can run it into the ground, we wont judge lol. On my 08 my tailgate had to be lifted about 1.5" every time I wanted to close it just from the weight of a 33' on it. My '12 had a 35" nitto mud grappler on it for who knows how long by the previous owner, tires were pretty worn out, and the gate was still pretty good.

For piece of mind it is good to upgrade the support for the tire as the more you thrash the Jeep around the more its going to jostle and shake your hinges. Make sure your bump stops are nice and tight as well to help mitigate any movement.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Need? No. Is it a good idea? Yes.

Rugged ridge has low quality but it's an option. Mor/ryde has a hinge and gate support combo that isn't as gaudy as the rugged ridge version and is designed to support up to a 37" tire. The mor/ryde also comes with a warranty.

It's probably overkill for your application but gate support is absolutely a good idea. I've got the mor/ryde hinges on mine and will be adding the stock carrier reinforcement brackets soon.

Side bar- I've seen cracked stock carriers with stock sized tires, so they are not a hefty design despite folks strapping larger tires on them.

This! I installed the MORryde hinges and love them. Also added the Hi-Lift Jack Carrier. You can also buy the whole tailgate reinforcement kit from Retrofit Offroad. I may upgrade to the tailgate reinforcement but right now I am just running the HD hinges with i'lift mount.

Quick Reply: Do I need a spare tire carrier support?