Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I need a spare tire carrier support?

Old 01-13-2016, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a spare tire carrier support?

Just ordered my nee 2016 jku rubicon. I am upgrading to MHT fuel coupler rims, 18X9 w/ toyo open country R/T 285/75R18. Total weight around 107lbs. Do i need to add a support system?
Old 01-13-2016, 02:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At minimun I would make sure you get or make some bumpstop extensions so the tire will not move around or rattle and cause damage to your tailgate. I ran a 35 like that for about a year without damage, but have since the upgraded to a bumper with carrier. You will prob be fine for a while, but depending how much you plan of wheeling ect I think you might want eventually make an upgrade to prevent tailgate damage.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was looking at the rugged terrain Spartacus tailgate support. Is that enough? I didnt really plan on getting bumpers to add a tire carrier.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

I put a set of 35" Cooper Discoverer ST Maxxs on 16 inch Pro Comp steel wheels... unsure of total weight (but they are certainly a pain to lift to the tailgate). Put on the Smitty oversize tire carrier, which IMO really does nothing but allow some vertical movement of the tire. I was lucky enough that one of the settings wedged the tire into the stock bumper just enough to provide support while allowing the gate to close.

Even with this, after about 10K I noticed more play and noise from the tailgate hinges. The tire was pulled while on the trail.... so this wear was just from normal driving. Ended up switched to an AEV setup.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rugged Ridge Hinge

Originally Posted by busa250
I was looking at the rugged terrain Spartacus tailgate support. Is that enough? I didnt really plan on getting bumpers to add a tire carrier.
You Mean Rugged Ridge? I'm looking at this too. I can't get enough of Rugged Ridge. Its on my to do list.

Rugged Ridge 11546.51 Spartacus HD Tire Carrier, Hinge Casting, 07-15 Jeep Wrangler (JK)
Old 01-13-2016, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes rugged ridge. Lol. So much research that i cant even keep brands straight. Lol
Old 01-13-2016, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cmhilbert i looked that up. The supports i am looking at are around $500 and replace the hinges and support the whole gate. I assume by what you said though that it is needed. Thank you for your advice.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Need? No. Is it a good idea? Yes.

Rugged ridge has low quality but it's an option. Mor/ryde has a hinge and gate support combo that isn't as gaudy as the rugged ridge version and is designed to support up to a 37" tire. The mor/ryde also comes with a warranty.

It's probably overkill for your application but gate support is absolutely a good idea. I've got the mor/ryde hinges on mine and will be adding the stock carrier reinforcement brackets soon.

Side bar- I've seen cracked stock carriers with stock sized tires, so they are not a hefty design despite folks strapping larger tires on them.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I looked those up. All i see are hinge replacements. That is a lot different then the rugged ridge or teraflex supports. These go across the back door and bolt onto the actual carrier. Not sure if it is comparable to just hinge replacements. At least is common sense theory that it is.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're basically talking about a 33" tire. Though it sounds like a heavy one. I've had the complete Teraflex hinge and adjustable mount (they are two separate things) on my other JK and liked it very much.

Currently I am running 33's so I only bought the adjustable mount to get my tire and wheel combo closer to the gate and rubber isolators. I am very pleased with the setup. It's not just weight that needs to be considered but also leverage. The further your tire sits away from your gate the "heavier" it gets.

Quick Reply: Do I need a spare tire carrier support?