Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I need a spare?

Old 03-05-2014, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a spare?

Currently running 35" tires (and have 5 of them) and may want to go to 37" when they are ready to be replaced. Do I need a spare carrier? I have 4.88 gears, so weight is not a huge issue. I am trying to save some money by not buying a new carrier, so I can spend it elsewhere. Jeep is 2013, so I am really not wheeling it hard yet. What are the pros and cons? I do not take long trips with it, but I do use my back seat. Help!

Last edited by itsthelaw; 03-05-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itsthelaw
Currently running 35" tires (and have 5 of them) and may want to go to 37" when they are ready to be replaced. Do I need a spare? I have 4.88 gears, so weight is not a huge issue. I am trying to save some money by not buying a new carrier, so I can spend it elsewhere. Jeep is 2013, so I am really not wheeling it hard yet. What are the pros and cons? I do not take long trips with it, but I do use my back seat. Help!
Do you want to be left stranded on the side of the road with no spare?

There are lots of people that go without them...but it is personal preference. You never know when something might happen.

Me personally, I would suck up the cash and pay for the spare. Would be cheaper than a tow if it ever comes to that.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm buying 35"s soon I found a really cheap tire that ima use as my spare that matches the tires maybe you can do the same!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Roof rack. Chunk the spare on top.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

Go to discounted wheel warehouse and get you a matching spare with guarranteed financing. Cost you only a few bucks a week. Pay it off in 3 months if you want with 0% financing. Bad credit don't matter. All you need is an income and checking account.

Then you can still sink that money elsewhere.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 while crawling over mini trucks.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

Currently running 35" tires (and have 5 of them) and may want to go to 37" when they are ready to be replaced. Do I need a spare? I have 4.88 gears, so weight is not a huge issue. I am trying to save some money by not buying a new carrier, so I can spend it elsewhere. Jeep is 2013, so I am really not wheeling it hard yet. What are the pros and cons? I do not take long trips with it, but I do use my back seat. Help!
Definitely dont want to hit any trails without a spare. Some trail parks won't let you enter without one.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a treadwright spare. U need a spare dude. Think how inconvenient it will be wen u need one. Would u want to drive any other vehicle without a spare handy?
Old 03-05-2014, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeep is 2013, so I am really not wheeling it hard yet.
Mine is a 2013 and I wheel the fawk outta it
Old 03-05-2014, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yes you need a spare. just because you don't wheel it hard doesn't mean you can't get a flat. On the road or trail. If you do get a flat and it's not repairable then you will be buying the 5th tire and still won't have a spare. I wouldn't even think twice about it.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-FREAK
Mine is a 2013 and I wheel the fawk outta it
Yup I've seen pictures!!!(:

Quick Reply: Do I need a spare?