Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I "need" rear upper control arms for 2.5"

Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRockBurner
Good to go. Don't need rear upper control arms for pinion. Front lower control arms will dial in castor so your rig isn't squirely on the freeway. Front adjustable trackbar depends on how much that axel shifts towards the driver side. I got one figuring do it right the first time.
Good to know thanks. I want to do things right the first time with quality components, but don't want to go over board with things I don't really need or need at the moment
Maybe once i get the rest of my mods done then I will look at "tweaking" some things

Next payday will be AEV correction brackets, NR grade 8 bolts, and probably some upper/lower gussets. I think at that point I should be ready to install all my suspension upgrades and hopefully be happy with the outcome.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd scrap the "correction brackets" and get a set of LCA's. I put the TF adjustable lowers on and it made all the difference. RK also makes a great decently priced LCA as well. Worth looking in to...
Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
I'd scrap the "correction brackets" and get a set of LCA's. I put the TF adjustable lowers on and it made all the difference. RK also makes a great decently priced LCA as well. Worth looking in to...
Agree. The thing with those frame mounted brackets; your lifting your rig, why lower the frame?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Would getting the LCAs get everything back to spec? Will the stock UCA be out of whack using just adjustable LCAs? I thought the correction brackets would be a good alternative since it would bring both sets of CAs back down into alignment per say without having to spend a chunk of change on arms right now. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, RK does have some pretty good prices and a good rep overall like TF. Recommendation noted
Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jumpmaster

Would getting the LCAs get everything back to spec? Will the stock UCA be out of whack using just adjustable LCAs? I thought the correction brackets would be a good alternative since it would bring both sets of CAs back down into alignment per say without having to spend a chunk of change on arms right now. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Using lower arms, the castor angle is adjustable. Using both upper and lower, castor and axel location is adjustable. The ideal solution. When we lift our Jeeps, we lose wheelbase.
The brackets lower the frame, so the ground clearance is lower. Although you will still gain break over angle.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 01-24-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:15 AM
JK Freak

Using lower arms, the castor angle is adjustable. Using both upper and lower, castor and axel location is adjustable. The ideal solution. When we lift our Jeeps, we lose wheelbase.
The brackets lower the frame, so the ground clearance is lower. Although you will still gain break over angle.
We've got JSPEC FIXED length FLCAs and is perfect for Our rig and a lot less $$$.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK Inspired

We've got JSPEC FIXED length FLCAs and is perfect for Our rig and a lot less $$$.
All rigs react to lifts differently, glad that in your situation fixed arms worked, in others drop brackets work. Now, if one of these types of fixes places spacers on top of their springs at a later time, that may change the castor again. But with fixed arms or drop brackets, there's no way for adjustment.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 PM
JK Freak

All rigs react to lifts differently, glad that in your situation fixed arms worked, in others drop brackets work. Now, if one of these types of fixes places spacers on top of their springs at a later time, that may change the castor again. But with fixed arms or drop brackets, there's no way for adjustment.
A man has got to know his limitations.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by shockwaveaz
On that lift you should skip the arms. You don't need them with that little lift. Adj track bar is great but may not even be needed. You could use the $ elsewhere. That lift is gtg man. You will have a nice ride as is. You should install your lift and decide on the track bar. Your front axle will probable be centered and you won't need the adj track bar.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Is there a way to measure if everything is in the right spots? Such as with lower CA, is there a caster you should be trying to achieve and when you can't get it, then get the lca? Or the driveshafts? Is there a way to measure them being centered so you know you need a track bar?

I have the TF 2.5 spring lift with Rancho 9000, and it rides fantastic. But being a newb, it would be nice to see if everything is in spec and could/could not be improved by lca or track bar.

Quick Reply: Do I "need" rear upper control arms for 2.5"