Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I "need" rear upper control arms for 2.5"

Old 01-21-2013, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I "need" rear upper control arms for 2.5"

Just ordered my TF 2.5 coil lift umongst some other things from ORW. Thanks Daniel

Anyways, other then an adjustable front track bar and either lower LCAs or geomatry correction brackets are rear uppers prefered for the rear that will be lifted just over 2" and 3" front (TF claims for 2dr)?

I want my rig to handle well on the road since it is my dd, but I also don't have the coin right now to be buying 8 new control arms (i wish though).

I need to start saving for my new wheels and 35s (over 2k easy) and a few other things, but i do want my geomatry and ride to be solid without buying things that may not be necesarry for a dd and backwoods/trail rig. I just don't see any serious rock crawling in my future, especially moving to OK this summer.

No B.S. Guys, what do you recommend?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My kit came with only front & rear uppers, no lowers... rides fine.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

Unless you are replacing the rear drive shaft with an aftermarket one, you don't need adjustable rear upper control arms. The rear UCAs are for adjusting the rear pinion angle.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:44 PM
JK Super Freak

you will be be fine with just the adjustable track bars, you will be better with front lower control arms, and anything after that is kind of overkill for that lift height. if your rear track bar hits your rear passenger coil, then you can get some spring correction wedges to straighten them out.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by notsoricer
you will be be fine with just the adjustable track bars, you will be better with front lower control arms, and anything after that is kind of overkill for that lift height. if your rear track bar hits your rear passenger coil, then you can get some spring correction wedges to straighten them out.
The TF 2.5" coil lift comes with the rear trackbar relocation bracket. Do you think i will be ok?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by river2c
Unless you are replacing the rear drive shaft with an aftermarket one, you don't need adjustable rear upper control arms. The rear UCAs are for adjusting the rear pinion angle.
Yeah, I was not sure if a little over 2" of rear lift was going to throw of my pinion angle enough to warrent UCAs.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jumpmaster
The TF 2.5" coil lift comes with the rear trackbar relocation bracket. Do you think i will be ok?
yes, you will be ok. I'm a little more ocd and the 1/2" that my axle was off caused me to order a JKS rear track bar. you may not be off at all depending on your jeeps weight and other factors. the new TF bracket gives you a few holes to choose which setting is right for your Jeep.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On that lift you should skip the arms. You don't need them with that little lift. Adj track bar is great but may not even be needed. You could use the $ elsewhere. That lift is gtg man. You will have a nice ride as is. You should install your lift and decide on the track bar. Your front axle will probable be centered and you won't need the adj track bar.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-21-2013, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shockwaveaz
On that lift you should skip the arms. You don't need them with that little lift. Adj track bar is great but may not even be needed. You could use the $ elsewhere. That lift is gtg man. You will have a nice ride as is. You should install your lift and decide on the track bar. Your front axle will probable be centered and you won't need the adj track bar.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Well, I ordered the TF front track bar, exhaust spacers, and Fox 2.0 smooth bodies, and dropped some coin on the new Fox ATS SS with the lift. Just waiting on delivery. I am leaning towards the AEV correction brackets to take care of the front end. Maybe doooown the road new control arms, but like I mentioned, I need to save up for the new tires and wheels. Probably should get some JKS upper/lower gussets as well. I was going to order the correction brackets and Northridge grade 8 bolts thinking I should have what I need for a comfortable/compliant ride.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumpmaster

Good to go. Don't need rear upper control arms for pinion. Front lower control arms will dial in castor so your rig isn't squirely on the freeway. Front adjustable trackbar depends on how much that axel shifts towards the driver side. I got one figuring do it right the first time.

Quick Reply: Do I "need" rear upper control arms for 2.5"