Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I need to outboard my front shocks?

Old 06-06-2015, 01:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
With my setup. The very top of the shock body would nip the frame (31xl) Not enough to cause any damage. I actually have the nemesis (bolt on )brackets not installed.
just got back from the ramp and it touches so minor on mine only when fully dropped on the very top (same shocks) back off a few inches and does not touch I am going to leave it. it actually just touches the boot get rid of that and im golden lol.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz
Good thing he said front and this is irrelevant... Jesus.....
As the thread involves the front axle, D_engels’ mentioning the CRC was irrelevant.
Reminding that “a CRC Link prevents the rear axle shift”, was relevant...

I knew that the desire to bash would result in losing reason and biting the hook… LOL

Last edited by GJeep; 06-07-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not done a Drag Link flip or anything. I was thinking about raising my track bar bracket (getting a new one welded on). Would that help? I'd rather do this the right way (or best way) and it may improve my steering in the process. It appears that my axle is well centered when the wheels are on the ground flat. I actually have a set of the AEV brackets and mentioned the Nemesis ones because they mention the weld-on aspect even though it is a bolt-on bracket. I suppose any could be welded on.

This Drag Link thing got me thinking though. What parts would I need? I guess I should do a bit of research before buying anything. I currently just have the JKS track bar in front as well as an Artec truss welded on to the axle housing. I was not getting email notifications for some reason so will check this thread often. Thanks for all the help so far, guys!
Old 06-07-2015, 07:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

You would need a raised bracket at the axle side. Artec makes a bracket for your truss, a drag link that can have the wheel side TRE flipped to the top position. Synergy makes a model that can run either way. You simply drill out the knuckle with a taper bit or use a tapered bushing in it to allow the TRE to be mounted to the top of the knuckle. Reid knuckles are already set up for a drag link flip if you had ever thought about upgrading to them. It is actually pretty simple to do if you can drill a hole and weld the axle bracket. Cost in the range of $300-400 if you drill your own knuckle and have to purchase a new drag link.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

At around 3" lift a drag link flip along with matching track bar axle side raise starts to pay off. You are right in the target zone. As for the lower front shock mount, once the suspension is lifted and shock travel increased you'll get shock body to frame interference. AEV, Nemesis, Synergy and others make bolt on brackets that move the shock mount outward to eliminate the rub. I've seen a couple guys just mount the to the outside of the bracket with a sleeve inside it. Best fix is to just cut the shock mount bracket off & weld on a stronger new one spaced outward about 1-1.5". All the aftermarket housings make this modification.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Flyer my ears were ringing

I think the biggest reason my shock doesn't make contact is because of the front TF 44 since the shock mounts are out further like Sok66 mentioned but the axle also has a raised trackbar bracket. I have the Synergy tie rod and draglink but it's not flipped. With the raised bracket everything is nice and parallel.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kssting
I have the Synergy tie rod and draglink but it's not flipped. With the raised bracket everything is nice and parallel.
Can you please post a picture of this?
Old 06-07-2015, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here you go. It's hard to get a great picture since the jeep is in the garage. Like a Flyer I am running the 3" Synergy springs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1047373169.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	504.3 KB
ID:	614028   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2210319185.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	492.5 KB
ID:	614029  
Old 06-07-2015, 06:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kssting
Here you go. It's hard to get a great picture since the jeep is in the garage. Like a Flyer I am running the 3" Synergy springs.
You have a raised track bar bracket but you're running it in the second lowest position.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Okay what's the point? The trackbar is inline with the draglink.

Quick Reply: Do I need to outboard my front shocks?