Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I NEED a lift with 33's?

Old 11-26-2011, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I NEED a lift with 33's?

Hey everyone,

I'm a new Jeep owner, and although many of my family members own Jeep's none of them have done serious modifications to the suspension. I have a Black 2011 Rubi and would like to get a larger tire size in the near future, but if I increase the tire size without lifting it, I understand there could be problems such as rubbing or decreased turning radius. My concern is rubbing.

I am not looking for any serious modifications at the moment, so I was wondering if anyone could advise me about the fitment of 33in tires on a stock 2011 Rubi and if I should just stick with the 32's if i don't plan on lifting it anytime soon.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-26-2011, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should be fine. I ran my rubi for over a year on 33s w/no lift. Good luck!

Last edited by Southern Girl; 11-26-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:46 PM
JK Freak

Yup like what Southern Girl said. You might get rubbing on the front air dam like I did at full turn. But easily remedied by removing it completely or a bit of cutting on the air dam. The real question should be how long before you got lifted after getting 33s. Lol
Old 11-26-2011, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

I have 33 BFGs and no lift. I rub my rear fenders at full flex and the front air dam at full turn in reverse. But I have wide tires so it all just depends on what you run
Old 11-26-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the input, i appreciate it!

I would love to lift it! It all depends when I can afford the cost for the lift itself and whatever maintenance that would go along with it. That's a whole new process I need to research and understand completely before I jump into it.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get 33s and no lift, you will rub on the fenders off road and other parts if you turn hard. A budget boost like the AEV kit for $259 or a leveling kit will help. Plus these kits can be done in your garage with basic tools in a couple hours.

Last edited by armycop; 11-26-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

You looking at 33's so you can hit the beach?? Welcome to the Forum
haha Actually I'm moving in Jan to the West Coast... I was Thinking when I hall my Jeep across the country on a trailer of stopping at some nice trails on the way.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

If you get 33s and no lift, you will rub on the fenders off road and other parts if you turn hard. A budget boost like the AEV kit for $259 or a leveling kit will help. Plus these kits can be done in your garage with basic tools in a couple hours.
Thanks, Ill check into that, because im def not trying to invest close to a k or more on lift and other necessary parts for it at the moment.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

There yeah go ... I was just asking, before I moved up here, I lived in Parsonsburg for 7 years..
Thats not too far from the water. So i bet you've probably been to the pit before or out on Assateague?
Old 11-26-2011, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by drexelpike
Crawl under that nice new rig and looks at your springs. There will be a tag on each one. Look only at the last two NUMERICAL digits. Fornts will be in the 12-19 range and the rears will be in the 54-60 range. If you are on the lower end of those ranges, you can pick up new springs (all four brand new for under 160 shipped) and just swap em out. Depending on your starting springs you can gain a good solid 2". Then you can throw in some 3/4" spacers in the front to level it out if you find it necessary. You already have the mono tube rubi shocks so you are half-way there
Would I be getting these new springs shipped from any site? and why would i need to level it out, shouldn't they be a consistent hight.. It seems that there is a lot of variability in doing that if i would need 3/4 spacers?

Quick Reply: Do I NEED a lift with 33's?