Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I Need Extended Bump Stops??

Old 07-04-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I Need Extended Bump Stops??

OK, I've been searching the forum and I THINK I found the answer but I wanna be sure. Right now I've got 2.5" of lift in the front with shock extensions.

On 32" tires, am I in danger of compressing the front shocks too much when flexed? I'm hoping for an answer like "nah, you'll be fine...don't worry about it." because it's already done and I don't really wanna take it all apart again if I don't have to..
Old 07-04-2008, 10:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My Full Traction 2" BB came with bumpstop extensions, so I'm gonna say yes.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

My measurements on my stock Rubi JK 4Dr found that the stock shock compressed length is only about 1/4 inch shorter than short enough. I considered bump stop squish, so give or take a 1/4 inch.

If you made your stock shock's compressed length longer using extensions you need bump stop extensions or a new longer bump stop.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:02 PM
JK Super Freak

thanks, that's about what I figured....oh well, guess I'll be lookin' for some bump stops then.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:08 PM
JK Super Freak

OK, I got em installed today.....a buddy of mine had some that he took off his GMC truck, they're about 3" tall (after I trimmed a bit off).....hopefully they'll be alright:

Old 07-05-2008, 02:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good Job! Looks fine to me.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

I originally had a 2 inch bb with 33 inch tires, and a sway bar disconnect. At full stuff or big bounces on tough trails I rubbed pretty bad on the fender flares. I was too lazy to install the new bump stops that came with the BB.

When I installed my 4 inch springs, I went ahead and installed the extended bump stops that came with the 2 inch bb, and voala! No more rub! It was about twice as long as stock, and was hard neoprene rather than the soft rubber, so it was a pita to get in, but gotterdun!

Quick Reply: Do I Need Extended Bump Stops??