Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I need a dual battery setup?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a dual battery setup?

So that's the question. Right now I'm running jeep, 2 KC lights and winch in the factory battery. Next week I'll be adding 4 more KC light, power invertor and thinking about on-board air. I've been told I'll need to run a dual battery with an isolator. Is this true? If so do I need to replace both batteries or can I just get 1 and continue to use my factory as well?
Whats the best batteries to look for?
What's the best isolator?
Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks for the help
Old 01-05-2012, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Its crazy that no one has ever started a thread about this...weird

Simple answer, regardless of mods, if you wheel go duals
Old 01-05-2012, 06:22 PM
JK Jedi

Get a tray from Rugged Ridge, a Cole Hersee smart isolator, and two Sears Die Hard Marine Platinum batteries plus the necessary wiring. I've always read that you shouldn't really mix an old battery with a new one in a two battery setup, but I don't know enough about batteries to tell you why.

PS: search around in the electrical section of the forum and you will find some threads on this topic.

Last edited by Sharkey; 01-05-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Do I need a dual battery setup?