Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I need a drag link flip?

Old 12-10-2015, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I need a drag link flip?

I am currently running an RK 2.5" lift. It is the older lift when they first went to the triple rate springs and they didnt make a difference between 2 and 4 door kits. The lift, lifted my jeep about 4.25". I have Fox shocks for a 4"-6" lift as well. Currently I have no death wobble or any driving issues. I was considering the flip kit to help wear and tear and a few people have made comments my steering is really steep. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

Old 12-10-2015, 10:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Knightpredator
Currently I have no death wobble or any driving issues.
No issues, leave it alone and keep the uptravel?

I was a bit over 4" for a few years before finally adding front/rear raised trackbar brackets and flipping the draglink. No change in steering for me. What I noticed was less body roll and a bit smoother ride. I like it better now, but didn't really mind it before since I had no frame of reference.

Mine is a 4door, don't know if that might make any difference?
Old 12-10-2015, 10:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't have issues, it probably isn't worth the cost or effort. Hard to tell from the pictures, but it doesn't look like you are running over 35" tires. So, you likely have around 2" of bump stop and therefore would need to notch your frame. With the flip you need a raised track bar bracket as well.

I suggest using the factory diagram to measure your actual lift height. It is hard to believe that at 4.25" it drives fine with no bump steer. I suspect you have less lift than that.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yeah, what invest said.

This is the diagram he's referring to.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	measure-lift.jpg
Views:	3459
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	631959  
Old 12-11-2015, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe a really dumb question, but here it goes, the measurements posted above, are they the same front and rear?
Old 12-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike H.
Maybe a really dumb question, but here it goes, the measurements posted above, are they the same front and rear?
No, the rear is a different measurement. I THINK stock is 5" +/- 1/2" like below. I don't know if this is accurate as I've only seen it once and have yet to go measure a factory JK.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.png
Views:	2135
Size:	647.3 KB
ID:	631996  
Old 12-11-2015, 02:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Knightpredator
I am currently running an RK 2.5" lift. It is the older lift when they first went to the triple rate springs and they didnt make a difference between 2 and 4 door kits. The lift, lifted my jeep about 4.25". I have Fox shocks for a 4"-6" lift as well. Currently I have no death wobble or any driving issues. I was considering the flip kit to help wear and tear and a few people have made comments my steering is really steep. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

The steering must be really sensitive without aftermarket LCA's to correct the geometry issue. In that picture there are no sway bar links that I can see. Did you have them disco at the time?
Old 12-11-2015, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have RK LCA's. Also sway bar is disconnected at the moment.

Quick Reply: Do I need a drag link flip?