Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I need to cut Rubi Rails????

Old 09-09-2013, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
Looking at that pic I wouldn't flex that even on a curb. It will rub for sure. Take off about 1.5", spray the cut and pop the end cap back on and your good to go.
Damn it, I really didn't want to cut it. May be I should lift it first?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yuriy
Damn it, I really didn't want to cut it. May be I should lift it first?
Why not? You want to lift it to avoid cutting a rubi rail? It would take all but 5 min with a sawzall and can of spray paint...
Old 09-09-2013, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe its just like that on the new models but your rail seems to hang pretty darn far back. My Rubicon is an 08 and it pretty much stops at the edge of the flare, yours looks like it goes beyond it, and into the wheel well a few inches which does not make sense??

Just cut it and recap it.

If you want an idea of what it would look like lifted jack up the back of the Jeep (On the body, hitch is a good spot if you have one) Extending the suspension a couple inches, You can probably get 2-3 inches before the wheel comes off the ground.

Lucas

Last edited by skates04; 09-09-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kh202
Why not? You want to lift it to avoid cutting a rubi rail? It would take all but 5 min with a sawzall and can of spray paint...
I saw the write up on that, and it seems if I cut the rail, I will have to cut the pinch seam, otherwise it will be seen behind the rail. And I really don't want to cut the body of my Jeep
Old 09-09-2013, 09:16 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You don't have a lift. You don't want to cut the rails. You don't want to cut the pinch seam. So why not just take the rails off. Problem solved.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You don't have a lift. You don't want to cut the rails. You don't want to cut the pinch seam. So why not just take the rails off. Problem solved.
I'm planning to buy a lift, no, I do not want to cut anything on my brand new jeep. I understand that there are a lot of people who don't mind to cut, drill, and do everything else to their Jeep, however, I am not one of those people. So, I asked a question starting this thread, to see my options, because like I stated before after my research all I read was that people cut them with 35" tires. So when first responder told me that I just need to lift it, It pretty much answered my question. I would cut the rails only if I absolutely had to. If I need to remove them untill I lift the Jeep, that is what I'll do.

I apologize if I annoyed you with my question, response, or unwillingness to hack my Jeep up, but I thought that what this forum is about to help people out when they don't know, undecisive , or unsure about something.

And you can do this : All day long.

Last edited by Yuriy; 09-09-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:45 PM
JK Newbie

I would pull the rails off the jeep and even just with a hack saw I would cut about an inch off the ends, the little black plastic cap pops off and then you can put it back on and you wouldn't even notice it, no one would. You don't need to touch the pinch seam it will look fine
Old 09-09-2013, 11:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
You need to flex it out and see if its going to rub.
Flexing isn't a complete test. If you flex 35s you'll see that they don't contact the pinch seam. However, if you get out on the trail, 35s do contact the pinch seam (see pic). When the tire is soft (air downed) and you hit a dip, the forces cause the tire to bulge out. And the tire comes in contact with the pinch seam. If OP's situation is close, I'd recommend trimming.

35s (see sig for specifics) that "passed" the tire flex test for pinch seam contact. That was freshly painted after the work. Could hear the rubbing while running the White Rim Trail--a pretty moderate trail.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinch Seam Damage to Jeep, Jun 11, 6684.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	496283
Old 09-10-2013, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

You want a lift and bigger tires yet you don't want to cut your rails and pinch seam so you don't damage a tire or worse? What are you going to do when you get a little mud, a scratch and god forbid a dent in that new jeep??

Not sure why you are afraid of it. Maybe give it a couple months and your jeep will be old then. But seriously it will look better and perform better with the pinch and rail trimmed. Also you do know with a lift you have to take apart your new jeep right?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Flexing isn't a complete test. If you flex 35s you'll see that they don't contact the pinch seam. However, if you get out on the trail, 35s do contact the pinch seam (see pic). When the tire is soft (air downed) and you hit a dip, the forces cause the tire to bulge out. And the tire comes in contact with the pinch seam. If OP's situation is close, I'd recommend trimming.

35s (see sig for specifics) that "passed" the tire flex test for pinch seam contact. That was freshly painted after the work. Could hear the rubbing while running the White Rim Trail--a pretty moderate trail.
Attachment 496283
Right but since hes running 33's and not 35's he might be able to get away without trimming. Me, I'd just cut them to be sure but its not my rig.

Quick Reply: Do I need to cut Rubi Rails????