Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I need C Gussets?

Old 02-21-2014, 05:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I need C Gussets?

So I've been trying to research this for a while now but still not really sure if this is something that really needs to be done. I have a 13 2 Door Rubicon with 35" MT/R's on it. I plan on heading to Raush Creek pretty soon to do some wheeling. I don't plan on doing anything crazy, and as I live far away from lots of Off road parks and trails, I prob will not be wheeling that often. I have been adding armor in prep to doing some crawling, and now I'm stuck on the fact if I need to do C gussets, or worry about things like engine/tranny skid and diff covers first?
Old 02-21-2014, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C gussets are cheap insurance. I did it so I have one less thing to worry about and it's nice to have the peace of mind.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should do it. Having a buddy/ local jeeper who is a competent welder helps too Def gussets over skids. Your JK comes pretty well protected already. You bend your c's and you won't be having a good time. They're only $50. For another $80 you can pick up a truss from PureJeep as well

Last edited by kh202; 02-21-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKBud
C gussets are cheap insurance. I did it so I have one less thing to worry about and it's nice to have the peace of mind.
This is what I was reading, but my issue I have is that I don't really have any shops around me that I really trust. I do all of my mods myself, but don't weld(I should proboly learn). The only thing Ive had welded on my jeep was my RK rear track bar bracket and the shop I went to charged me like 120 bucks just to weld that on. So I feel like they would try to rip me off if I got C gussets installed, I'm also kind of worried about the ball joints if done by a shop, feel like they would just weld them in without regard. I know ill have to replace the ball joints eventually but with 3500 miles on my rubi don't really want to have to do that quite yet.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:25 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AlexjeepVb
This is what I was reading, but my issue I have is that I don't really have any shops around me that I really trust. I do all of my mods myself, but don't weld(I should proboly learn). The only thing Ive had welded on my jeep was my RK rear track bar bracket and the shop I went to charged me like 120 bucks just to weld that on. So I feel like they would try to rip me off if I got C gussets installed, I'm also kind of worried about the ball joints if done by a shop, feel like they would just weld them in without regard. I know ill have to replace the ball joints eventually but with 3500 miles on my rubi don't really want to have to do that quite yet.
Surely there's a local jeep around VA that could help you out for a case of beer or $50 or something?
Old 02-21-2014, 05:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kh202
You should do it. Having a buddy/ local jeeper who is a competent welder helps too Def gussets over skids. Your JK comes pretty well protected already. You bend your c's and you won't be having a good time. They're only $50. For another $80 you can pick up a truss from PureJeep as well
What brand C Gussets would you recommend?

Also does anyone know anyone in the Virginia Beach area that welds or a good shop that would give me a fair price to install?
Old 02-21-2014, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kh202
Surely there's a local jeep around VA that could help you out for a case of beer or $50 or something?
This is what I'm looking for!! and 50 bucks sounds like a deal to me if anyone in the area could help.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AlexjeepVb
What brand C Gussets would you recommend? Also does anyone know anyone in the Virginia Beach area that welds or a good shop that would give me a fair price to install?
Gussets are pretty much gussets. I went with PureJeep for $50 as well as their truss for $80. That being said., truss wise, artec is better but more involved. The pure jeep gussets are plenty beefy tho

Unfortunately can't help you on where to find help. Could post up on the regional section
Old 02-21-2014, 05:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For welding, I would recommend Northwest Welding off of south Battlefield Blvd, but I'm not sure if they've got experience in welding gussets to know how to avoid frying your bj's. Another very reputable shop is Starr Motors out in Suffolk. Yep, it's a dealer but talk to Joe. He's the man that most everyone in the area goes to for off road needs.

Quick Reply: Do I need C Gussets?