Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I need bumpstops??

Old 12-17-2010, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need bumpstops??

I am going back and forth (A LOT!!!) On what I want to do with my jeep.

I am not sure if I want 33's 0r 35's. 35's just seem like quite a bit of extras I would need to make it be dialed in. I had 33's before, and I know that works, but I am not sure if I need to add some parts.

Current setup: 1-3/4" Daystar budget boost (actually yielded closer to 2" all around)

this came with rear sway bar drop brackets, and the pucks.

to this I added: rear brake line extended brackets, Bilstein 5100 shocks.

Should this really have extended bumpstops? Are there any I can add without removing the coils again?

Also, should I add rear coil spring retainers of some sort? And if so, how come not the front coils too?

Sorry for MORE lift questions (AGAIN!) But I am just trying to get this right, and not spend a fortune!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:53 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

technically, yeah, you should have them installed as they will help prevent the over compression of your coils. you can install a set in the rear without having to pull the coils but up front, no, there is no way around it. depending on the kind of wheeling you do, you might be fine leaving well enough alone and, if you do end up over compressing your coils, it'll be a good excuse to upgrade
Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 AM
JK Freak

I agree, you should install new bump stops. There are several companies that sell these, and probably many threads on the same subject. Good luck with you mods.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
technically, yeah, you should have them installed as they will help prevent the over compression of your coils. you can install a set in the rear without having to pull the coils but up front, no, there is no way around it. depending on the kind of wheeling you do, you might be fine leaving well enough alone and, if you do end up over compressing your coils, it'll be a good excuse to upgrade
That is what I thought about the front. Which is really what got me thinking about all this in the first place. If I am going to take it all apart again, maybe I should just switch to the teraflex 2.5 BB or something like that, which is more complete. I am just a little concerned that the 2.5" would lead to other things like driveshafts, CA's, etc. I can swing the teraflex BB or spring lift, because they are not that bad for $$ without shocks. And they seem pretty complete (of course I am only assuming my bilsteins will still work) But I would really rather not have to buy other components, as I still need to save up for the wheels & tires

That brings me to another question, Is the actual coilspring lift that much better than the BB (both teraflex)? (It seems to be the same amount of lift)

Or, if I just leave it alone, should I at least add some rear spring retainers?

Oh by the way, I have also thought if it breaks, well Honey --- Now I HAVE to upgrade! Just kidding, I'm a lucky man, she is actually worse than me wanting to build it up!

Thanks for all the info. This really is an impressive forum WOL. While I got you, I just wanted to say thanks for putting in all the time, etc. It is appreciated
Old 12-17-2010, 10:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depending on which springs u use it will definately improve the ride! my OME springs and shocks ride wayy better than the factory stuff..
best way is save your cha ching up, buy a full kit, alot enough time to do it so your not working on it at 3am... cough cough.., and it will be done right the first time!

front spring retainers are not needed because the top where the bumpstop goes extends down quite a bit, which will keep that spring in there... in the rear there is nothing, so u can either run a TF 1" spacer in rear with the big cone on it, and some jks spring retainers on the bottom, or run currie spring retainers top n bottom, but u really wont need these items unless ur getting alot of flex..

and yes u need bumpstop extensions... i choose the rinkish "hockey puck" method..

Last edited by rinkishJK; 12-17-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

I did hockey pucks on mine instead of the huge plastic puck for bump stops. It was easier to get through the springs too. I might add other puck but we will see. I play hockey so it was a nice little add on for me !!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-891441516.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	110196   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-788643803.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	110197   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1954269493.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	110198   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1210271255.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	110199  
Old 12-17-2010, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Interesting. How did you attach the hockey pucks? Did you have to drill and tap? I will do a search, but that is interesting.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:55 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I attached mine with a 5 min epoxy.. I like his bolt idea.. Mine haven't and aren't goin anywhere!!! There def on there.. The epoxy I use is for bonding dissimilar materials, such as rubber and metal.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rubiRI77
Interesting. How did you attach the hockey pucks? Did you have to drill and tap? I will do a search, but that is interesting.
Drilled a whole then use the self threading bolt that came with the kit. Really easy and gave my jk a hockey touch! :-)
Old 12-18-2010, 03:44 AM
JK Freak

OK thanks. this has me thinking

Quick Reply: Do I need bumpstops??