Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

DIY Tie Rod

Old 03-16-2016, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz
So 1.5 must clear but depending on the wheeling id not trust it. Mine bent the first trip in the rocks. Aluminum may be more flexible but i have never run any aluminum stuff...
Yea, clearance is pretty important right now. 4.5" BS on a 8.5 wide -6mm offset wheel. About to throw on SOLID diff covers too.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maertz
So 1.5 must clear but depending on the wheeling id not trust it. Mine bent the first trip in the rocks. Aluminum may be more flexible but i have never run any aluminum stuff...
Fair point. I am not a huge fan of rocks. I prefer dunes and trails over crawling. 1.5 works for me, fusion4x4 has 1 ton tie rods with 1.5 aluminum and 2.5 ton ends with 1.75 aluminum rods. If you find yourself bending 1.75 then I'm not sure if anyone can save you!
Old 03-16-2016, 01:43 PM
Former Vendor

Just noting that we have a 1 ton tie rod that uses 1.5" solid 7075 aluminum and offset 1 ton ends. 10% off and free shipping. Solid value. A little over $300 shipped.

Chromoly isn't worth the cost unless you heat treat it. That's what makes the Synergy strong. You can machine heat treated tube as it can't be machined or welded. So, you have a big cost in finding and paying for the correct heat treatment. That's especially true if you are running hydro assist. The Synergy will flex under enough force. The only chromo tie rod out there designed to handle hydro assist is the Currie, which is something like $700 and not as strong as our 2.5 ton tie rod.

We also sell machined aluminum. Ruff Stuff went off and made some cheaper 1 ton ends. If you are buying your own ends, buy from another source.

If you are going to weld bungs in yourself, you need to be a legit welder and familiar with the process. Most people end up having to tap the threads after welding. Factor in the cost for taps. The LH thread is pricey.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusion 4x4
Just noting that we have a 1 ton tie rod that uses 1.5" solid 7075 aluminum and offset 1 ton ends. 10% off and free shipping. Solid value. A little over $300 shipped.

Chromoly isn't worth the cost unless you heat treat it. That's what makes the Synergy strong. You can machine heat treated tube as it can't be machined or welded. So, you have a big cost in finding and paying for the correct heat treatment. That's especially true if you are running hydro assist. The Synergy will flex under enough force. The only chromo tie rod out there designed to handle hydro assist is the Currie, which is something like $700 and not as strong as our 2.5 ton tie rod.

We also sell machined aluminum. Ruff Stuff went off and made some cheaper 1 ton ends. If you are buying your own ends, buy from another source.

If you are going to weld bungs in yourself, you need to be a legit welder and familiar with the process. Most people end up having to tap the threads after welding. Factor in the cost for taps. The LH thread is pricey.
Hah i have seen people need a tap i always laugh. They usual come to me to buy one then i tell them the price. Almost better cutting the bung out and getting a new one if possible.... Agreed most cant weld aluminum and use clamps (which id refuse) solid aluminum should snap back alot better also.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is what I was referring to in my comment. Good stuff

Ruff Stuff went off and made some cheaper 1 ton ends. If you are buying your own ends, buy from another source.
I've heard nothing but good things about ruff stuff 1 ton ends. You have had bad experiences?
Old 03-17-2016, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your guy's 1 ton tie rod just is top notch thanks again!
Old 03-21-2016, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Why did you decide to not have offset TRE's on your 1 ton like a dogleg or your 2.5 ton ends, it looks like they are pretty straight?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:23 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by NJKURPat
Why did you decide to not have offset TRE's on your 1 ton like a dogleg or your 2.5 ton ends, it looks like they are pretty straight?
We use the GM offset ends like most everyone else. It clears the diff and is a lower cost option that us having custom forgings made. The only downside is that you need 4.5" of backspace or less. The price would be in the $400+ range if we went with custom forgings. By the time you take our 10% forum discount on the 2.5 ton stuff, there is no reason to go with the 1 ton.

Our investment is in our flagship 2.5 ton stuff. Yes, a little on the expensive side, but it is the last tie rod you will ever buy. If you bend it, your Jeep is likely totaled! Lifetime warranty on the ends (so long as you grease them). We see it every day where people spend $200-$350 on a tie rod that won't be their last. They bend, ends wear out, and many are known to flex when used with hydro assist (especially the most popular option out there).

Our one ton tie rod is nice, but the ends will wear out just like all the other JK stuff out there, and that is an incremental cost in the future. The logic to the 2.5 ton stuff is that it is designed to not wear out and therefore we can provide a lifetime warranty. Plus, it is as simple as unscrewing a cartridge and screwing a new one in. No toe to adjust, etc. There are some items that are worth spending money on up front. Bent tie rods are no fun.

It really comes down to your wheeling style, tire size, and use case. If you spend $250 on a tie rod, you aren't going to be surprised when you come down hard on a rock and it bends. Spend $350 and you will be disappointed it bends, but not shocked when the rod ends wear out a year or two down the road.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

We use the GM offset ends like most everyone else. It clears the diff and is a lower cost option that us having custom forgings made. The only downside is that you need 4.5" of backspace or less. The price would be in the $400+ range if we went with custom forgings. By the time you take our 10% forum discount on the 2.5 ton stuff, there is no reason to go with the 1 ton.

Our investment is in our flagship 2.5 ton stuff. Yes, a little on the expensive side, but it is the last tie rod you will ever buy. If you bend it, your Jeep is likely totaled! Lifetime warranty on the ends (so long as you grease them). We see it every day where people spend $200-$350 on a tie rod that won't be their last. They bend, ends wear out, and many are known to flex when used with hydro assist (especially the most popular option out there).

Our one ton tie rod is nice, but the ends will wear out just like all the other JK stuff out there, and that is an incremental cost in the future. The logic to the 2.5 ton stuff is that it is designed to not wear out and therefore we can provide a lifetime warranty. Plus, it is as simple as unscrewing a cartridge and screwing a new one in. No toe to adjust, etc. There are some items that are worth spending money on up front. Bent tie rods are no fun.

It really comes down to your wheeling style, tire size, and use case. If you spend $250 on a tie rod, you aren't going to be surprised when you come down hard on a rock and it bends. Spend $350 and you will be disappointed it bends, but not shocked when the rod ends wear out a year or two down the road.

^^I agree. Right now, unfortunately it is about getting on the road again within budget. I have some major upcoming expenses and a move mid summer so we will see.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

What is the length of the rod on your 1 ton tie rod vs your 2.5 ton tie rod?

Quick Reply: DIY Tie Rod