Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

DIY Snorkel plan

Old 07-22-2015, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Snorkel plan

Hey guys,
I have the gen 1 Ripp supercharger that I've upgraded to the Gen 2 electronics and intercooler. I'm pretty concerned about the air filter getting wet when off roading so I want to add a snorkel. Obviously the River Raider snorkel is my best bet, however I'm concerned about restricting air flow and the power loss.

So, that brings me to plan B. Make a larger snorkel.

I have my supercharger out being rebuilt, but here is the plan when it gets back (provided my measurements come out ok once it is back in).

3.5" to 4" elbow coming out of the intake side of the supercharger.
5" by 10" cylinder enclosed air box.
4" pipe running through the fender
2X4" (or 3X4") steel square stock snorkel

I have a plasma cutter, welder, and the fab experience to make it. I just wanted to get feedback from everyone since I believe that "we"are smarter than "I". Another question I have is what are the dimensions of the River Raider unit. (Not so I can copy it, just to ensure that mine is larger to flow more air). So I'm just interested in the height and width of the side part and upright. Not the lengths and such, I'll figure that out in my own design.

Of course I'll take pictures and a DIY thread on the build...

Rescu2000
Old 07-22-2015, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

First, welcome! Second, I think it's freaking awesome to have someone like you join (extensive fab knowledge).
I wish I could contribute something towards your question.

All I can offer is that you call Kenny @ River Raider for the information you're asking for. He's a real cool guy to talk to and would no doubt help you out.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Did you do any calc's on air flow to see how big a pipe you need? Or are you just winging it based on nothing?
Bends are one of the biggest restrictors of air flow and should be as few as you can use. Depending on your routing you could end up with less free air flow then stock. Do you have any diagrams?
siliconintakes.com is where I buy my intake hardware. They have the silicon elbows and hard pipe needed for custom intakes.
The one I built has 2 45's and 1 90 and goes thru the cowl with a pre-cleaner. No supercharger but is pretty clean and simple compared to going true the fender.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 07-25-2015 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can get you a drawing of my proprietary design. You just can't share it with anyone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2625352073.jpg
Views:	1652
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	619033
Old 07-24-2015, 07:24 PM
JK Newbie

First, I think "extensive" fab skills might be a stretch. I've built a few bumpers and skid plates. I built a a pretty slick bumper for a Jeep Liberty on another forum (LOST). Built a front and rear one there with the swing out tire carrier. I still wouldn't say I have extensive skills though. This project would be pretty easy though. Cut the square stock at angles, weld together and weld the tube on to run through the side. Then mock up the ram air top. I'll put a removable side panel to clean it out. I'm sure it will pick up bugs and stuff.

As far as calling River Raider, I don't think it would be very ethical to call someone at River Raider to talk about their snorkel and waste their time with no intention of buying their product. They are in business to make money and their time is valuable. I just wouldn't feel right.

As for calculations, I have only calculated the volume of the sizes of the square stock vs a round pipe. The Supercharger has a 3.5" intake to I feel that going to 4" should be an improvement over the 3" tube that River Raider uses. The air filter will have over 600 cfm capability which should exceed the engine pull. I think the stock motor is around 330 cfm so the supercharger shouldn't pull more than 600 (probably more like 400-450 cfm).

As far as bends, there would be fewer bends than the River Raider Gen 2 setup (which is the one that tested at 30hp less). Mine would come right out of the supercharger 3.5" into a 3.5" to 4" elbow to the 5" body enclosed air filter into a 4" pipe straight out the side.

I added the rugged ridge hood vent today to help with heat from the supercharger today. Still waiting on my supercharger to get back. I won't start any fab until I get moved next month. Should be able to build it in a day though.

After I close on my new house I'll order the RIPP headers to open up the exhaust a little more.

Thanks for the welcome and the replies guys!
Old 07-25-2015, 07:22 AM
JK Newbie

And I guess i should point out the design. My supercharger is the Gen 1 that has the intake port facing the firewall. So I will have to put a 90 there, then the air filter. Then I Don't think there will be enough room for another 90 to exit at the cowl. So I will end up going through the fender. This will create one 90 degree bend at the Supercharger and one outside the Fender and about a 45 degree bend in the snorkel. I like the River Raider design and look, i just need more volume due to the Supercharger. So where it uses 3", I'll use 4" and then upsize everything to the same volume. It might not be perfect, but it would flow more than the River Raider.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Cool

That looks slightly restrictive. Have you had any issues with it?

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I can get you a drawing of my proprietary design. You just can't share it with anyone.

Attachment 619033
Old 07-26-2015, 05:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

take a look at this, it might help in your planning.
Custom Snorkel/CAI write-up
Old 07-26-2015, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks and some good info. If I could get a good looking expedition style air filter I would do something like that. However there isn't enough room between the intake of the supercharger and the firewall to put an Air Filter in. Even an inline. The inline ones are 10" long. I'll verify once I get mine back from being rebuilt, but it was pretty close to the firewall. Maybe 8 Inches. It looks like it would flow better than a snorkel.

Quick Reply: DIY Snorkel plan