Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

DIY Aluminum Tie Rod

Old 05-29-2018, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
IDK if you've gone and looked at the website since posting, but a 53" bar prices out at ~$115 for 1.5" diameter, and that includes having the ends tapped for TREs. Then buy the TREs, pop em in, and a SS clamp if need be, so y, looks like ~$200 all-in
Thanks!

I've been doing a lot of other reading on replacing ball joints, and figured I'ld might as well replace one of my wheel hub bearings while I'm at it, since one has been replaced while the other is original factory, and then put some new front brake pads on also. So been busy shopping around for parts, tools, and know how, where I didn't have a chance to go look into this further.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Thanks!

I've been doing a lot of other reading on replacing ball joints, and figured I'ld might as well replace one of my wheel hub bearings while I'm at it, since one has been replaced while the other is original factory, and then put some new front brake pads on also. So been busy shopping around for parts, tools, and know how, where I didn't have a chance to go look into this further.
It sure is an intriguing route to go.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

It sure is an intriguing route to go.
Yeah it is, but does Aluminum not bend or less likely to bend compared to chromoly?

No rust and lighter weight was all I've heard about aluminum.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Yeah it is, but does Aluminum not bend or less likely to bend compared to chromoly?

No rust and lighter weight was all I've heard about aluminum.
Chromoly is stronger in general, but once bent, stays bent. The aluminum going to weigh less, take more effort to bend, and comes right back to form. Couple vids as examples:

There are also some vids out there that document the additional force required to bend that 7075 -

I'd think it would be a good option for you....both in cost and function. What I am curious about would be how that would be with hydro assist? Maybe Dirtman or Bora Bora will chime back in. I'm curious if the fact that it's more flexy would hinder using in a hydro application.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting. Makes me wonder why my aluminum beer cans don't bend back into shape after I crush them on my forehead with nowhere near to 1200psi.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:18 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pt...603342609.html

That posting showed up in DFW craigslist ads today (even though it's in Arizona). Just thought it was funny......for several hundred dollars more than Bora Bora spent, these guys will screw the TREs in to the aluminum bar for you and ship it as 1 piece rather than you having to screw the two ends in yourself. What a deal!
Old 05-30-2018, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Chromoly is stronger in general, but once bent, stays bent. The aluminum going to weigh less, take more effort to bend, and comes right back to form. Couple vids as examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B601rrLFn-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4e9YPCUONA

There are also some vids out there that document the additional force required to bend that 7075 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1yikfwrg6I&t=14s

I'd think it would be a good option for you....both in cost and function. What I am curious about would be how that would be with hydro assist? Maybe Dirtman or Bora Bora will chime back in. I'm curious if the fact that it's more flexy would hinder using in a hydro application.

Hahah yes, my guys at Stinky Fab! Great videos though, really show you what aluminum can take. The 1.5" OD 7075-T6 solid rod is plenty beef for a tie rod Rednroll, strength wise it's not as strong as heat treated chromoly...but it has more 'memory' allowing it to spring back rather than permanently bend. Aluminum is more prone to fatigue, but with solid rod I'm not concerned whatsoever. You just need to make sure that the jam nuts on the TRE's are TIGHT against the rod. If the jam nuts work loose, you can strip the threads out. I didn't use any thread locker on the jam nuts, but since the aluminum is softer...if you crank the jam nuts they should be fine. Just something worth noting.

On the topic of hydro assist, I had the same concern initially. I spoke with multiple people who are successfully running hydro assist with aluminum steering; No one has had any problems so far. One guy suggested placing the ram closer to the TRE on the rod, and mounting the other end to the axle tube/truss/or diff cover (instead of the track bar mount in a traditional setup). I'm keeping that suggestion in my pocket, as I'm sure I'll need to play around/make multiple tacks and guesses when installing the ram anyways. The bar does instill confidence though, as it's really stout and solid. I don't think it'll be anything like a 'wet noodle' with hydro assist, especially if you experiment with your ram mounting.

Unfortunately no welding for me for the next 6 months while I let my burn scars heal so no UV radiation, or hydro until late fall.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pt...603342609.html

That posting showed up in DFW craigslist ads today (even though it's in Arizona). Just thought it was funny......for several hundred dollars more than Bora Bora spent, these guys will screw the TREs in to the aluminum bar for you and ship it as 1 piece rather than you having to screw the two ends in yourself. What a deal!
Hahaha, classic.

Last edited by BoraBora; 05-30-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Highlighted this thread today. Curious how that TR is holding up? Still happy? Did you end up doing a DL as well?
Old 01-29-2019, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Highlighted this thread today. Curious how that TR is holding up? Still happy? Did you end up doing a DL as well?
TR has been holding up great. I've put 10k miles on it now, and the ends still look great and have taken minimal grease. I haven't done the DL yet as my stock one is still alive (), but I recommended it to a good buddy of mine, and his looks great. Required reaming the pitman arm a bit, but it clears everything fine.

Planning on switching to the WTOR steering box this summer, so I'll do another update on the TR + Hydro combo.

Last edited by BoraBora; 01-29-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoraBora
TR has been holding up great. I've put 10k miles on it now, and the ends still look great and have taken minimal grease. I haven't done the DL yet as my stock one is still alive (), but I recommended it to a good buddy of mine, and his looks great. Required reaming the pitman arm a bit, but it clears everything fine.

Planning on switching to the WTOR steering box this summer, so I'll do another update on the TR + Hydro combo.
youll love it hydro. Those are some good guys. I spoke to them yesterday I needed to order new Heim joints for my ram. They last 4 years until they started showing some play

Quick Reply: DIY Aluminum Tie Rod