Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Discount Tire won't install my tires!

Old 01-28-2016, 02:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Mounting and balancing tires is not tough. I have mounted several sets. If you watch a you tube video how to do it, it is not tough. I mounted my toyo 35's and they are e rated with a stiff sidewall no problem using old fashioned tire irons. mount them up and take them in to get balanced. I bet if you look on craigslist you will find a mom and pop shop to mount and balance them.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeepmojo: why if a company does not rip you for 100% retail it is factory seconds? Mrwheeldeal.com is owned by huge tire distributor in the midwest. Call your local DTD store and quite new wheels n tires then go to mrwheeldeal.com. I know 3700 for wheels n tires is a ripoff. DTD will still be servicing them for 125$ but im not giving them 1k just to get them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2165130774.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	491.3 KB
ID:	635940  
Old 01-28-2016, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Only catch with a Sears Warranty, is the company has to exist and/or not be in bankruptcy. I see two chapters left in the Sears story, 7 and 11.
Good point.

I suspect they will be arose at least as long as I keep the tires.

My Sears here is Boise is pretty good, and they are closer than the Discount Tire, which is far away.

The nice thing is they are at the mall, so I can pull my jeep in to have tires rotated while I do some shopping. Haha.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roryslife
Good point. I suspect they will be arose at least as long as I keep the tires. My Sears here is Boise is pretty good, and they are closer than the Discount Tire, which is far away. The nice thing is they are at the mall, so I can pull my jeep in to have tires rotated while I do some shopping. Haha.
And then when they're done you can get your dose of "crawling". Lol
Old 01-28-2016, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Discount Tire
I'm sorry to hear you are having issues getting your AT2 tires installed. I can assure you though, it has nothing to do with not purchasing the tires from us. I'll do my best to clear up the confusion. There are a number of factors that come into play when we are verifying tire fitments. One of them is load index. We look at the factory tire's load index and the factory recommended air pressure (placard located on the door jam). Plug these two numbers into a Load Inflation Chart and the chart indicates how much load the factory tire carries at the factory recommended pressure. For us, this is the minimum load carrying capacity the new/ replacement tire must be able to carry. We do this because tires are pneumatic and load carrying capacity changes with pressure. Due to this, and also for handling purposes, vehicle manufacturers build in a margin of safety into the tires. To ensure our safety standards are on par, all the tires we sell for vehicles driven on the street must meet or exceed the requirements set by the vehicle manufacture. In this particular case, your Sport-S (assuming this is what you have) came factory with standard load 113 load index tires which at placard pressure (35psi) carry 2234lbs each (accounts for P to LT conversion). The 33x12.50R-17 AT2 has a 105 load index which carries a maximum load of 2040 lbs which is 194lbs less per tire than factory.
Sounds like your calculations are only taking in consideration the current tire that was on the Jeep and not what the lowest index rated tire was available as stock. If you are plugging in high load index numbers in the first place your eliminating some tires that would be fine if the lower index was used instead, no?
Old 01-29-2016, 10:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Roryslife
I'm going to guess that Discount Tire would of price matched. I know Sears does (I like there warranty better).

Normally all you do is take the online quote, and the company with match it. Sears even took into account the sales tax when I last bought tires.
Yep, Discount has price matched for me in the past... IF i can even find the tires cheaper elsewhere.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:24 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Its-a-JK
Sounds like your calculations are only taking in consideration the current tire that was on the Jeep and not what the lowest index rated tire was available as stock. If you are plugging in high load index numbers in the first place your eliminating some tires that would be fine if the lower index was used instead, no?
This is correct. We go off the O.E. tires that came on that particular trim level, regardless of what may came O.E. on other trim levels.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is correct. We go off the O.E. tires that came on that particular trim level, regardless of what may came O.E. on other trim levels.
At makes no sense. With all the tires I have purchased I haven't ever heard of a company doing this. Trim level should have nothing to do with what can be fitted on the vehicle it should be based on the minimum numbers that the car manufacturer recommends, really it should be based on gross vehicle weight and a particular tires load ratings. I can understand refusing to put a tire on a vehicle that is clearly under rated for that vehicle but that has to be based on the least capable tire. Your basically saying that if I purchased a jeep with E rated tires came in to replace them with a C rated tire which is more than capable, you wouldn't put C rated ones on, crazy.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I agree this is crazy a unlimited 4 door sport with 16" 225/75-16 can weigh more than a sahara unlimited 4 door depending on build. Ie sport with tow package, automatic and hard top vs sahara with soft top and 6 speed and no other options.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never once had a good dealing with discount tire nor have I found their prices to be the best. Often times they're average price and the service stations are about on par with pepboys. Out of all the big tire company's I prefer national tire and battery...

Quick Reply: Discount Tire won't install my tires!