Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Discount Tire won't install my tires!

Old 01-15-2016, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discount Tire won't install my tires!

I ordered General Grabber AT2s @ 33x12.5r17 for my JKU.
Went to Discount Tire to have them installed and they're telling me that they can install them because they won't handle the load of my vehicle.
Is that possible?

A loaded down JKU can't be more than 5,000 lbs and the load rating of the AT2 C lass is 2,040.
Wouldn't that mean I could cary over 8,000lbs with no problem?

Help and knowledge would be helpful here.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GradyLigon
Went to Discount Tire to have them installed and they're telling me that they can install them because they won't handle the load of my vehicle.
Is that possible?

A loaded down JKU can't be more than 5,000 lbs and the load rating of the AT2 C lass is 2,040.

That's crazy. I'd take it to another one.

They just mounted and balanced 37" tires on my Jeep.

Those are well within the range for you....those are a minimum of load range c if not d.....more than good.

They tend to cop out when they think they have to put in some extra work to balance them.

Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum
Old 01-15-2016, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Sound like bs to me. My JKU is HEAVY and I'm just over 5600 lbs.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

For a long while Discounts corporate policy was to not touch vehicles with wheel spacers, but people here posted that their local shop did not have a problem with them. If 'that' location will not mount them, just go somewhere else. And I bet you can still use that shop for the free rotation/balance (assuming it is the most convenient location).
Old 01-16-2016, 07:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Stock Goodyear 225/75-16 have 1980 lb capacity and come on jku base models. Have them price one and look at the specs.

I will say a loaded down 4 door can weigh 6000 easy. mine empty with full tank of fuel is over 5000lb and not a heavy build. add 4 adults and gear and it is heavy. not 8000lbs heavy tho.

Last edited by jadmt; 01-16-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GradyLigon
Is that possible?

If they are that stupid, they need reported to corporate and their certifying agency. If they didn't want to stall tires they didn't sell, they should say so.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:43 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues getting your AT2 tires installed. I can assure you though, it has nothing to do with not purchasing the tires from us. I'll do my best to clear up the confusion.

There are a number of factors that come into play when we are verifying tire fitments. One of them is load index. We look at the factory tire's load index and the factory recommended air pressure (placard located on the door jam). Plug these two numbers into a Load Inflation Chart and the chart indicates how much load the factory tire carries at the factory recommended pressure. For us, this is the minimum load carrying capacity the new/ replacement tire must be able to carry.

We do this because tires are pneumatic and load carrying capacity changes with pressure. Due to this, and also for handling purposes, vehicle manufacturers build in a margin of safety into the tires. To ensure our safety standards are on par, all the tires we sell for vehicles driven on the street must meet or exceed the requirements set by the vehicle manufacture.

In this particular case, your Sport-S (assuming this is what you have) came factory with standard load 113 load index tires which at placard pressure (35psi) carry 2234lbs each (accounts for P to LT conversion). The 33x12.50R-17 AT2 has a 105 load index which carries a maximum load of 2040 lbs which is 194lbs less per tire than factory.

Last edited by Discount Tire; 01-16-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Can't really argue that logic.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Discount Tire
I'm sorry to hear you are having issues getting your AT2 tires installed. I can assure you though, it has nothing to do with not purchasing the tires from us. I'll do my best to clear up the confusion.
Discount Tire will even let you put the road hazard on tires not purchased through them. Discount Tire is great to work with.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to go out on a limb here and say the requirement may be due to all the new JKs (and older models too) that I have seen at something greater than a 60° angle climbing hills or waterfalls where the bulk of vehicle weight is transferred to only two tires :o

Quick Reply: Discount Tire won't install my tires!