Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Disconnected on streets and highways

Old 08-28-2013, 10:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disconnected on streets and highways

I was lazy about a month ago and haven't connected my sway bars. 3 wheeling trips later and plenty of daily driving its pretty fun and fairly sturdy. I have an AEV 3.5 lift that seems to handle it very well.

Pro's an cons of doing this? Anyone else do this?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:40 PM
JK Newbie

I rarely run with front sway bars unless I'm towing or driving more than an couple hours away.. More body roll in turns and dive under braking. Your reaction to obstacles in the road would be less immediate and might make a rollover more likely if you're flying on the freeway. For me, it's worth the little extra risk to be lazy.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I know for me that extra minute it takes to reconnect the JKS' links really sucks. So much more I could be doing with that extra minute.

I guess the thing that bugs me is not so much the risk you put yourself at but the potential risk you pose to someone else. We all like to think we are great drivers but when you are traveling at highway speed and an animal jumps out or a pallet falls off a truck and your natural instinct to swerve takes over and you loose control, why should some innocent
person(s) be put at risk when you loose control of your vehicle because the sway bars were not connected?

Last edited by jadmt; 08-29-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:36 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by jadmt
I know for me that extra minute it takes to reconnect the JKS' links really sucks. So much more I could be doing with that extra minute.

I guess the thing that bugs me is not so much the risk you put yourself at but the potential risk you pose to someone else. We all like to think we are great drivers but when you are traveling at highway speed and an animal jumps out or a pallet falls off a truck and your natural instinct to swerve takes over and you loose control, why should some innocent
person(s) be put at risk when you loose control of your vehicle because the sway bars were not connected?
Hell Ya.....everyone knows that sway bars and steering stabilizers are thrown on these vehicles free just for the fun of it. And the reason there's no footwell lights is well

God knows footwell lights only mask-not correct other problems in your footwell geometry.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock jeep disconnected feels much worse than mine does now with 35x12.5 tires and 3.75" backspacing (~7" wider stance than stock). I usually drive home from the trail ~45 min disconnected and just take care of it there
Old 08-29-2013, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
Hell Ya.....everyone knows that sway bars and steering stabilizers are thrown on these vehicles free just for the fun of it. And the reason there's no footwell lights is well

God knows footwell lights only mask-not correct other problems in your footwell geometry.
x3

Not to mention if you were ever in a serious accident and a good lawyer discovered that the swaybar link was disconnected, you most likely would be at fault no matter the situation.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good points- mine are zip tied up. No jks yet. If I had those they would be connected.

Ordering today.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TyMarolf
Good points- mine are zip tied up. No jks yet. If I had those they would be connected.

Ordering today.
I used to use zipties but that got old real fast. I just use a short sinch strap on each size from lowes. Quicker and easier i think. And they don't break!
Old 08-29-2013, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Hate to be a party pooper but...... If you have them disconnected knowingly and an accident occurs involving a death. You could be found criminally negligent and could face potential vehicular homicide charges. A forensic examiner will know instantly if they were disconnected and things like zip ties etc show knowledge prior the event. When someone dies in an accident and they are determining what happened; they will go that far.

Why risk seriously injuring/killing someone over 2 minutes of your time? Top that off with prison time and the reality sets in. It's good practice to inspect the underside before hitting the trail anyways.....

My .02

Last edited by Rploaded; 08-29-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 AM
JK Junkie

I wasn't aware that swar bars were legally mandated peice of equiptment Not saying you guys are wrong, but what would their case be?

What about guys who decide to put a 6" lift on a JK... are they automatically lieable for any kind of accident on the street because their COG is so high and have decreased level of manueverability???

Quick Reply: Disconnected on streets and highways