Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Disappointed with Shrockworks Rear Bumper Tire Carrier

Old 10-27-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez.. get off his nuts already. The product sucked when he got it. He's not doing a customer service review.. he's doing a review of his bumper.

Whoever said.. no one will read the entire thread once they see the first post.. I took the time to read the entire thread. If I'm going to purchase an accessory that costs that much money, then I'm definitely going to take the time to do the research.

I personally agree with the sentiment that if you buy something at that price.. then I would hope the quality standards would be in place to keep from having to do all those changes to get it to fit as it is intended. Make sure it fits the template before leaving the factory. End of story.. period. No excuse. You're directly responsible for the quality of your product. In this situation the retailer IS the manufacturer. So, they are the ones held responsible.

If it looked like I was going to have to do all that to get it installed, I would ask for them to send me a new one. The caveat is that you have to wait so long to get the first one.. that you don't want to have to wait for a new one. The other is... that you don't know how much work its going to take to get it installed.. until you actually start installing it.

I would think they would do a partial refund or at least compensate you for the damage to the powdercoating.

I'm not really sure why everyone seems to be getting upset about him telling what all he had to do to get it installed. I guess either he was really unlucky or everyone else is really lucky when it comes to their products.

Would I think twice about buying a Shrockworks bumper? Yup

Would I wait 7 months for a part and then be outraged that it didn't perform how it was intended.. AFTER the manufacturer said "That's just the way it is"? Uhm. Hell Yes. I'm surprised that he's taking it so well.

If they decide to fix the issues, or if they come up with some type of compensation.. then go edit your original post or follow up with. Yay they fixed it.

Thanks for the info bro. I hope Shrockworks hooks it up for you.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JPop
I would hope my neighbor knocks on my door asking me to turn the stereo down before he calls the police. I would hope my customers provide me an opportunity to correct an issue before calling the better business bureau. If I bumped a car in a parking lot, I would hope the other party would grant me the opportunity to pay for the damages before employing an attorney.
Irrelevant. I'm not employing any third party to assist me in resolving these issues. I merely posted my experience to make other aware of things they may have to deal with if they choose to purchase this product.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Cod
JK Newbie

i'm just wow'd by some of the responses in this thread......

These bumpers cost too damn much and take too damn long to get to have that many problems.

Any bumper shouldn't take more than a week to fabricate... a decent fabrication shop could definitely put a squeeze on the market with a quality part and reasonable pricing.....

Last edited by wayoflife; 10-27-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: soliciting
Old 10-27-2010, 11:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine in four months and I installed it with out any problem. To this day I have not had a problem with any Shrockworks product. You know when you order it that it is going to take some time to get. They state that up front.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I installed it with out any problem.
That's the way it should be, and that's what I was expecting, hence my disappointment.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think everyone on this forum preaches "You get what you pay for"

yomondo paid a shit ton for this bumper and didnt get what he should of gotten. Thats all there is to it....I dont understand how anyone could criticize HIM in this situation

Yes, shrockworks should fix it....Is yomondo legally required to keep his mouth shut about the bumper he received or what? I just dont get why hes wrong for bringing these problems to the forum. Thats kinda what its for?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Jpop, I have read many responses that you have posted over the last year or so ..... you typically have good info and I am generally impressed with your knowledge. On this one you are way off. This guy bought and then waited for a product that should fit. Obviously it did not and there was many issues that needed addressed. I appreciate his candor and info on his purchase journey. If Shrockworks does the right thing, I'm sure he will relay the info, and if they don't I'm sure he will relay that info also.

We need more threads about the issues people have with vendors and more importantly how they are treated during the resolution process, it can only help separate the crooks from the standups and we will all be better for it. Hopefully people read these threads and base their future purchases on them.

Cheers!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Three reasons for me:

1. Top-notch quality. I've done a side-by-side with the LOD bumper, and there are distinct differences in the quality. Not that LOD is bad--Shrockworks is just better in a number of little ways. The way the shackles mount (billet through a hole in the bumper rather than just tacked onto the bumper from the front). The quality of the tire carrier latch (sorry, Yomondo, that this is one of your complaints). The fact that the locking pin for the tire carrier has a T-handle to pull it out (again, a problem area for Yomondo), rather than requiring the use of a tool. The locking jerry can racks (an area where Yomondo criticizes the design choice).

2. Features. There are very few bumpers that offer the combination of features that Shrockworks does: Back-up lights, tire carrier, jerry can and trail racks, uses stock tow hitch, etc.

3. Finish. Even fewer companies offer bumpers in semi-black gloss. My front bumper is semi-gloss black, as are my rock rails. My Jeep would have looked silly with a krinkle finish, which is far and away more popular with the bumper vendors (and more susceptible to corrosion than a smooth finish).

I waited ten months for my rear bumper. Yes, it was longer than I wanted, but my goal was to have it before my White Rim Trail trip this past spring, and it made my goal. I'm a patient person and, despite the long wait, am delighted with the product and service. I don't expect everyone else to be so patient--I understand that there are few who would be so and have no criticism for those who want their items in a more timely fashion. But, I do expect in return that they accept that there are those of us for whom patience is a virtue that we're willing to employ. It's great when the patience is rewarded, and it's unfortunate, as in Yomondo's case, when it's not. Fortunately, that's pretty rare with Shrockworks.
thanks for explaining why, makes little more sense to me now.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:26 PM
JK Freak

Wow Yomondo. I just finished reading this thread. Hope things turn out for the best. I'll admit, I do like the look of the Shrockworks bumper/tire carrier set up. I'm just not that patient. It looks like their solution for most of your problems, are washers/spacers. May be in the future they'll send out a bag of both with each of their products.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JPSquad
Wow Yomondo. I just finished reading this thread. Hope things turn out for the best. I'll admit, I do like the look of the Shrockworks bumper/tire carrier set up. I'm just not that patient. It looks like their solution for most of your problems, are washers/spacers. May be in the future they'll send out a bag of both with each of their products.
I really like the bumper too, and I can deal with the problems. I'm still waiting to receive the spacers they said they're making for me, but even without them I can deal.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Shrockworks Rear Bumper Tire Carrier