Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Disappointed with Shrockworks Rear Bumper Tire Carrier

Old 10-26-2010, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPop
If you believe the motivation was altruistic, I understand why people would think this is an appropriate means to communicate this matter.

If you believe it was done out of contempt or spite, as so many internet attacks are (whether real or imagined) then you need to have disdain for the methods employed.

For myself and others the internet and a forum isn't the first place I go to try and find resolution, but the last. If things started with the post after speaking with the manufacturer, I wouldn't have had any issues and it is far more revealing than the first post. The first post only had a single perception with undelivered expectations and no course for remedy. The second post, after speaking with the manufacturer framed the situation better with setting what the manufacturer believed the expectations to be and where they fell short of the customers. In other words the whole story, and by no means would I buy their product nor am I apologizing for them.

There is simply a way you deal with things in fairness and it doesn't involve immediately hiring an attorney, calling the police or blasting away on the internet. You confront the other party straight up and save the rest for when your first crack at diplomacy fails.
There is absolutely NOTHING "wrong" about posting a negative review. If you are not satisfied you are merely telling other people your experience. I certainly don't expect all the reviews on places like amazon.com or yelp.com or anywhere else to have been "approved" by the manufacturers/establishments first. That is the whole point of a review. It lets you know what to expect when you get something. In this case, you can expect that you MIGHT have a bumper with problems, and hopefully you can expect that if that happened the manufacturer would correct that.

In this case, yomondo had a negative experience and merely wrote about it. It's not his fault the manufacturer made a mistake and he doesn't have any duty to hide that fact. He is being truthful and showing proof of his problems, and merely giving an opinion (you can't say his opinion is "wrong" as much as you may disagree) without saying anything that's untrue.

The manufacturer is free to comment, explain, apologize (as they damn well should after sending a faulty product after SEVEN MONTHS OF WAITING) and fix the issue.

If the manufacturer were not allowed to come to the forum and correct allegations that are untrue, THAT would be unfair. Censoring information is hardly ever good for everyone (usually very few benefit from such a thing). But Shrockworks can come chime in anytime they want.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:38 PM
JK Junkie

and had the manufacturer said, we are extremely sorry for that and it should have never left our doors. We will be issuing a call tag for it, sending out a new bumper that will certainly meet your expectations along with a set of rock rails for your troubles. Then the review isn't worth a damn and they never are until you give the other party a chance to respond first, off line and one to one.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Junkie

Default Bulb Changes

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
the LoD rear bumpers are the same. i think you will find this across the board. its due to the factory reinforcement bar that runs behind the bumper. the only way i can see around this is to cut that off which would hurt the structural integrity.
Thanks for the insight - now I won't feel as bad knowing we're all basically in the same boat. Does seem a bit odd that the manufacturers can't (or will not) make provision in their designs for simplifying bulb changes.

Sorry if I've highjacked the thread, and detracted from the "Freedom of Speech" vs "Grievance Protocol" discussion.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have Shrockworks front and rear bumpers, I am extremely happy with the fit and finish of this product. I did however have a problem with the latch for the tire carrier being to tight which made it very hard for my wife to close it. I fixed the problem with two 1/4" washers. Place one washer on each bolt between the latch and the carrier but on only the top and bottom bolt on the right side of the latch. This causes the contact point of the latch to move back and loosen up the tension on it. Works great and it's really easy to open and close and no more complaints from the wife. I'm also wondering if your factory trailer hitch was mounted too high causing your bumper to be pushed up. The hitch is just a clam shell on the rear crossmember and it can be moved up or down slightly. Maybe when you have the bumper off again, loosen the hitch bolts and drop it down to give you more room. I would post pics of the fix with the latch but it's been raining here for two days straight. I hope everything works out for you. Cheers!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I only wish that I would have seen this thread prior to ordering my rear bumper from screamin lizard. Don't take this the wrong way, but hopefully you are the exception. I'm not sure that I would be as patient as you.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rutdigger
I agree with you 100% on this. I too am a little disturbed at how many people blasted him for putting out a review that (in my opinion) was warranted. He got a crappy product...he gave them a crappy review, simple as that. The amount of time he waited for the bumper alone is well worht the crappy review in my book. There just isn't any excuse for that.
It's the herd mentality, until it's their hard earned cash being spent on overpriced, over-rated and under-designed crap they will continue to flame. Some get butt-hurt when a product they have isn't working out for someone else.
Thanks to the OP for a real observation.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mookie
I only wish that I would have seen this thread prior to ordering my rear bumper from screamin lizard. Don't take this the wrong way, but hopefully you are the exception. I'm not sure that I would be as patient as you.
I honestly hope mine was an exception. I wouldn't want anyone else to have to deal with these problems.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JPop
the review isn't worth a damn and they never are until you give the other party a chance to respond first, off line and one to one.
So I can't tell someone what I think about a movie I saw without first talking to the producers? And the sushi place I had lunch at without first talking with the owners? And everybody here who's talked about how good or bad their tires are...will you lecture all of them for not talking with the manufactures first? And everybody on amazon dot com who commented on a product they bought...do you think they spoke to the manufacturers first? Are ALL of these billions of such reviews on the internet not worth a damn to anyone? Of course not, and it's simply absurd to suggest so.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with Hoopa, I feel like a lot of the criticisms are coming from people who have the same product and are hurt because it didnt work out for someone else....

like its been stated many times before, sometimes bad products get out the door....no company is perfect. It should be how they respond to the situation that defines them.

A few people are stating that this was just the nature of the product or the install. I can see that argument to an extent, but scraping by the tailgate and sagging carrier? to the point where his wife cant even do it? Thats absurd. There is no way that is the nature of this bumper. Especially after that kind of wait and that kind of $$. I'd be frustrated too.

And he didn't post this review looking for solutions first before going to the manufacture! He posted his review of how the install of the bumper went and his frustrations with it! How is that blasting? I saw no criticisms of shrockworks, only of the product he received. He has repeated this several times and you keep criticizing him for bashing shrockworks 1st before do anything else.

just my .02, take it or leave it
Old 10-26-2010, 10:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm curious why anyone in their right mind would wait this long for ANY product.
unless it is a custom built thing, but even then shouldn't take that long. i have canceled orders before after 3 weeks.

we the consumer have to stop giving in to businesses. put your foot down and enough is enough.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Shrockworks Rear Bumper Tire Carrier