Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Disappointed with Shrockworks Rear Bumper Tire Carrier

Old 10-25-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xrated
Wow! .i ordered a front bumper from Jim several weeks ago. i sure hope i don't have issues. Seems from reading this thread, Jim needs to step up the quality control.
The front bumper is much simpler than the rear. It's not likely you'll have problems with it, but when you get it, inventory your hardware in case you're missing any nuts/bolts/washers/etc.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yomondo
You guys don't get it. This is a product review. I'm not asking for anyone here to remedy anything. People who are considering purchasing this product need to be aware of what they might be getting themselves into.

Anyway, here you go.

1. The cutout on the bottom of the bumper that slips over the stock hitch receiver is too narrow, making it difficult to put the bumper in place. I lost quite a bit of powder coating from the bumper and a little bit of paint from the Jeep putting the bumper in place.

Jim's Response: That's the way it is, and I haven't heard any problems.
But apparently FlameRed had the same problem in his write-up here.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...arrier-Install

4. The hole in the tire carrier where the stop pin goes is too small. I had to hammer the stop pin in, and of course it doesn't freely move up and down, and so is useless.

Jim's Response: Others have had this problem. Probably due to too much powder coating building up there. Try drilling out or filing out the hole.
So if he knows this is happening, why allow more products to go out the door with the same problem?

5. The latching end of the tire carrier latch was too long. I had to file it down to make it fit.
and
6. The tire carrier latch is very tough to open and close. I can't expect my wife to handle this.

Jim's Response: Can't say what's wrong here without diagnosing it.

7. When the tire holder is bolted in at the lowest setting, the hole where the tire carrier bump stop is supposed to bolt to is covered and can't be used. I had to use another hole a little higher up, which doesn't line up properly with the bump stop plate on the tail gate.

Jim's Response: I just checked, and yah you're right.

8. Inadequate hardware was provided to get the tire carrier bump stop adjusted to the proper length. I had to add a couple of washers.

Jim's Response: The hardware provided is what comes in the kit from the third party vendor. I guess maybe we need to provide some washers or something.

9. Screw holes on the trail rack don't line up well, making it difficult to feed the screws in.
and
10. Screw holes on the jerry can holders don't line up well, making it diffucult to feed the screws in.

No response from Jim.

11. The arms that hold the jerry cans in place don't slide in cleanly through the bottom of the jerry can holders. I had to bend these arms to get them to fit, and still scratched off a bunch of power coating.

Jim's Response: That's the way it is. You have to bend the arms to get them in, then bend them back, but you only have to do it once.
Why not give us these arms so we don't have to bend and scratch them to get them in, then instruct us to bend them back afterwards?

12. The arms that hold the jerry cans in place don't fit with the jerry cans that they sell. I had to bend these arms to a different shape to get them to work.

Jim's Response: That's the way it is. The arms have to hold the cans in tight.
He obviously hasn't tried this with the cans they're currently selling. The fit iss way off and there's no way they would close without straightening out the bend in the arms a few degrees.
How dare you complain! You shall accept everything that a vendor puts out whether it fits or not. The vendors only responsibility is to get it close and cash the check. It is the end users responsibility to make it work. (Proud owner of an AEV rear bumper, that has been removed and reinstalled more than 5 times)
Old 10-25-2010, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Good write up. Hopefully it helps someone out in the future. If you wouldn't have posted this, Jim may never have found out about the issue with the laser cutter and his reputation may have suffered more. He should be thankful for your brutal honesty and having the balls to address it. Personally, I think you are owed compensation, at least a partial refund to cover new powder coating.

Last edited by wazooz2424; 10-26-2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:37 PM
JK Junkie

The review after speaking with the manufacturer is much more relevant than simply blasting away before you have provided them the opportunity to correct things. I had a similar experience with LOD and waited until they did what they were going to do for me then posted my thoughts on the experience. I wasn't happy nor 100% satisfied, but for all I knew they were going to send me a brand new flawless product and a case of beer for my troubles.

I'm sorry your bumper and tire carrier didn't meet your expectations. More so it sounds like I need to feel even sorrier for the vendor that didn't make it right.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Glad I went with a Rock Hard. No issues at all. Those responses you got from Shrockworks are weak/lame.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:19 PM
JK Junkie

Default Shrockworks Rear Bumper

Word to the wise - when you drill a larger hole for the "stop pin", make sure you slop lots of grease on the pin itself (maybe too late unless you intend to remove the tire carrier from the bumper when adding the special spacers). If so, at least keep lots of oil on the pin, and regularly "activate" the pin each time you pass by the rear of your vehicle. Mine froze after several months, and was extremely difficult to pound free (I was opening/closing the carrier, but not enough to engage the pin).

By the way, anyone figured out an EASY way to replace burned out reverse light bulbs in this bumper yet?

Mine:

Old 10-25-2010, 09:03 PM
JK Super Freak

I hit mine with WD-40 every two month to clean out the dust and keep it operating in perfect condition.

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Word to the wise - when you drill a larger hole for the "stop pin", make sure you slop lots of grease on the pin itself (maybe too late unless you intend to remove the tire carrier from the bumper when adding the special spacers). If so, at least keep lots of oil on the pin, and regularly "activate" the pin each time you pass by the rear of your vehicle. Mine froze after several months, and was extremely difficult to pound free (I was opening/closing the carrier, but not enough to engage the pin).

By the way, anyone figured out an EASY way to replace burned out reverse light bulbs in this bumper yet?

Mine:

Old 10-26-2010, 03:08 AM
JK Super Freak

dont listen to the people bashing you. as far as im concerned, once you paid that amount of money, waited 7 months, and got a POS, you could say whatever you wanted to, to whomever. Shrocks poor QC, and from what it seems like in their emails, SHITTY over-all attitude/product design is what caused them to bashed on a public forum.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:20 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
... anyone figured out an EASY way to replace burned out reverse light bulbs in this bumper yet? ...
There's not an easy way that I found. Check out post #8 in the following thread ...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?138175-How-Do-You-Change-Shrockworks-Back-up-Light-Bulb
Old 10-26-2010, 03:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
dont listen to the people bashing you. as far as im concerned, once you paid that amount of money, waited 7 months, and got a POS, you could say whatever you wanted to, to whomever. Shrocks poor QC, and from what it seems like in their emails, SHITTY over-all attitude/product design is what caused them to bashed on a public forum.
You will find extremely few people who actually own this bumper would agree with your assessment. And that's the problem with Yomondo's post: He's got some legitimate complaints, but things where that is the way that the product is designed (such as the need to slightly bend the holders for the jerry can racks), and NO ONE ELSE COMPLAINS ABOUT IT, is hardly reflective of a poor attitude or product design. Rather, it's Yomondo's expectations--if he didn't like the way this assembly went, he should have bought another bumper.

This is not to excuse the apparent tolerance errors that have caused him the major portion of his problems. He has suggested that was probably due to the switch to a new CNC facility. I say let's wait and see how Jim's and Shrockworks' solutions work out. You see, they've sold hundreds of these bumpers to extremely satisfied customers. It's unfortunate that Yomondo is not one of them (though, contrary to your opining which is based on ignorance, he admits that he's starting to "love this bumper again.")

Bottom line: There's nothing wrong with giving the vendors a fair shake, then include in the review how the vendor responded, just as Yomondo ultimately did, rather than just blast them initially.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Shrockworks Rear Bumper Tire Carrier