Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Disappointed with Shrockworks Rear Bumper Tire Carrier

Old 10-20-2010, 04:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OUCH - I've had mine on order for about 3-4 months now - looking at those pictures worries me a bit... For sure post if they have to make you a new one or let us know how you resolved the issues...

Crazy long wait... way to long for a piece of metal
Old 10-20-2010, 09:58 PM
JK Freak

I heard back from Jim. He said he has a solution for the sagging tire carrier using spacers. His solution for the bumper being too high is also spacers. His solution for the stop pin hole being too small is to file it out or drill it out. He said he'll make the spacers then send them to me. We'll see how they work out. But what a huge hassle it will be for me to install them. Undo my wiring, unbolt nearly everything, make the stop pin hole bigger, then reinstall everything with the spacers. It'll most likely take quite a bit longer than the initial installation.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I have all shrockworks stuff too and the rear bumper was the most difficult to install. I installed it by my self and had to put things together with out tightening it up to make sure I did it correctly. Once I knew it was correct and adjusted properly I would synch it down. I know the instructions are rough to fallow at times but the problems you are having are too numerous. My gate rubs on the right side of the bumper after I cam down on a rock. I am going to loosen the mount and hope it goes bake down. You may want to try the same. I had to adjust the locking handle to make sure it was not too tight so my wife could open it also. I have had none of these problems and have had it for a year now. I wish you luck. Photos of the hinge would be nice.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Wow, I have all shrockworks stuff too and the rear bumper was the most difficult to install. I installed it by my self and had to put things together with out tightening it up to make sure I did it correctly. Once I knew it was correct and adjusted properly I would synch it down. I know the instructions are rough to fallow at times but the problems you are having are too numerous. My gate rubs on the right side of the bumper after I cam down on a rock. I am going to loosen the mount and hope it goes bake down. You may want to try the same. I had to adjust the locking handle to make sure it was not too tight so my wife could open it also. I have had none of these problems and have had it for a year now. I wish you luck. Photos of the hinge would be nice.
Yah, installation of the rear bumper is certainly a lot more involved than installation of the front bumper or rock rails, but it's still not all that complicated even though their instructions are a bit lacking. I'm sure that by loosening the bolts that fasten the bumper to the frames rails, I can probably wiggle a little more clearance, but I'll have to unbolt it anyway to try out the spacers. We'll see.

Originally Posted by toad
I'm sorry but you wait that long for a product that you pay alot of money for and it has all those problems??? No matter how you look at it, that's just plain wrong. I think that the bumper should be sent back at the companies expense and have a new one replaced. There's no excuse for a faulty product with that long of a wait time.
There's no excuse for a product with that many faults regardless of the wait. I really suspect that the switch to new laser cutting company they're now working with has a lot to do with the bumper not fitting well. The tire carrier sagging probably could be from a slight misalignment when welding in the tire carrier pin. All the other stuff, that's just bad design and lack of QA. So very disappointing. I can't stop shaking my head whenever I think about it.

I'm not quite ready to demand that they take their faulty product back. I'll see what their spacers do first, then take it from there.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:07 AM
JK Freak

I installed the license plate holder (which I received a few days ago because they failed to package it with the initial shipment), and as you can see it mounts a little crooked. One more minor issue.

It sure is a great looking bumper though. I'm still dealing with a couple of major issues (the drooping tire carrier and the inoperable stop pin), but I'm getting over the initial disappointment and frustration with the installation and returning to loving this bumper.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:20 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
No it's not. There are shims and washers (some optional) provided to prevent the problems you're having with the tire carrier. You should call and speak with Jim and give him a fair opportunity to address your problems before blasting him on the Internet.
I totally agree Mark!!!

This is not the place to remedy issues before you have given the manufacturer or vendor the opportunity to provide a solution. When they fail to provide remedy or tell you "That's the way it is" that's when I want to know.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JPop
I totally agree Mark!!!

This is not the place to remedy issues before you have given the manufacturer or vendor the opportunity to provide a solution. When they fail to provide remedy or tell you "That's the way it is" that's when I want to know.
You guys don't get it. This is a product review. I'm not asking for anyone here to remedy anything. People who are considering purchasing this product need to be aware of what they might be getting themselves into.

Anyway, here you go.

1. The cutout on the bottom of the bumper that slips over the stock hitch receiver is too narrow, making it difficult to put the bumper in place. I lost quite a bit of powder coating from the bumper and a little bit of paint from the Jeep putting the bumper in place.

Jim's Response: That's the way it is, and I haven't heard any problems.
But apparently FlameRed had the same problem in his write-up here.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...arrier-Install

4. The hole in the tire carrier where the stop pin goes is too small. I had to hammer the stop pin in, and of course it doesn't freely move up and down, and so is useless.

Jim's Response: Others have had this problem. Probably due to too much powder coating building up there. Try drilling out or filing out the hole.
So if he knows this is happening, why allow more products to go out the door with the same problem?

5. The latching end of the tire carrier latch was too long. I had to file it down to make it fit.
and
6. The tire carrier latch is very tough to open and close. I can't expect my wife to handle this.

Jim's Response: Can't say what's wrong here without diagnosing it.

7. When the tire holder is bolted in at the lowest setting, the hole where the tire carrier bump stop is supposed to bolt to is covered and can't be used. I had to use another hole a little higher up, which doesn't line up properly with the bump stop plate on the tail gate.

Jim's Response: I just checked, and yah you're right.

8. Inadequate hardware was provided to get the tire carrier bump stop adjusted to the proper length. I had to add a couple of washers.

Jim's Response: The hardware provided is what comes in the kit from the third party vendor. I guess maybe we need to provide some washers or something.

9. Screw holes on the trail rack don't line up well, making it difficult to feed the screws in.
and
10. Screw holes on the jerry can holders don't line up well, making it diffucult to feed the screws in.

No response from Jim.

11. The arms that hold the jerry cans in place don't slide in cleanly through the bottom of the jerry can holders. I had to bend these arms to get them to fit, and still scratched off a bunch of power coating.

Jim's Response: That's the way it is. You have to bend the arms to get them in, then bend them back, but you only have to do it once.
Why not give us these arms so we don't have to bend and scratch them to get them in, then instruct us to bend them back afterwards?

12. The arms that hold the jerry cans in place don't fit with the jerry cans that they sell. I had to bend these arms to a different shape to get them to work.

Jim's Response: That's the way it is. The arms have to hold the cans in tight.
He obviously hasn't tried this with the cans they're currently selling. The fit iss way off and there's no way they would close without straightening out the bend in the arms a few degrees.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a Shrockworks front bumper due to arrive tomorrow. I have been waiting for 4 months. I hope I don't have such issues. I bought rock rails a couple months ago and they arrived in a few days........I guess they were in stock. They did not fit and I had to cut the mounts and re-weld them. I spoke with Jim and he stated this was a unique problem associated with Rubicon Express lift kits.

Overall, I think Jim is quite a friendly guy on the telephone, everytime I have called, he has picked up the phone and chatted with me. However, I don't think I would reorder anything with this company due to the long wait times...........I am too impatient to wait 4 months for a bumper.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Drsalee
I have a Shrockworks front bumper due to arrive tomorrow. I have been waiting for 4 months. I hope I don't have such issues. I bought rock rails a couple months ago and they arrived in a few days........I guess they were in stock. They did not fit and I had to cut the mounts and re-weld them. I spoke with Jim and he stated this was a unique problem associated with Rubicon Express lift kits.

Overall, I think Jim is quite a friendly guy on the telephone, everytime I have called, he has picked up the phone and chatted with me. However, I don't think I would reorder anything with this company due to the long wait times...........I am too impatient to wait 4 months for a bumper.
I waited six months for my Shrockworks front bumper. It's a great bumper. I love it and get plenty of compliments on it. I was missing a few pieces of hardware which shouldn't happen, but had no problems with the installation.

My Shrockworks rock rails came in three weeks because they had them in stock and only needed powder coat them. Missing hardware here as well, but no problems with the installation, and the rock rails have been serving me well.

Yes, Jim has always been friendly on the phone. I just wish his delivery time quotes were anywhere near accurate.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

Wow! .i ordered a front bumper from Jim several weeks ago. i sure hope i don't have issues. Seems from reading this thread, Jim needs to step up the quality control.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Shrockworks Rear Bumper Tire Carrier