Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Disappointed with Shrockworks Rear Bumper Tire Carrier

Old 10-19-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, that really sucks to hear. I remember talking to ya at the pizza place about your wait. I like Shrock's stuff (I have their sliders but only because SLC had them in stock, I wanted their front bumper but went with Rock Hard because I didn't want to wait) so I'm surprised the fit is that bad.

I know that with my LoD it was a pain to get on and align, but in the end it worked. I was convinced the bolts weren't going to line up but my friend kept pushing me to wiggle and prod and bump until it all came together somehow (I still don't understand how, but it did). However there's enough clearance that there's no WAY my tailgate would come within an inch of hitting the bumper. I can't believe Shrock's is THAT close! But seriously dude, I was just like you..."Seven holes, if 5 are in, and the other 2 don't line up, they're NEVER going to" - but in the end, somehow, it did. so maybe with enough loosening and pushing down on the bumper you'd get it to slide down? Loosen bolts (leave in place) and STAND on the bumper to see if it moves down?

And my pin is so sturdy that with a 35 it doesn't even need to be lifted when closing, it stays perfectly horizontal. The handle looks cheap (and it is) but it works just fine and does the job well. The fit of the trail rack was fine. You shouldn't be having those sort of problems. My only problem with mine is that the tire rests up against the bolt heads for the bolts that attach the trail rack to the tire carrier. It seems like a bad thing but when I posted up about it, no one else replied or seemed to care.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mdnky
Sorry to hear you had problems, but I know that part about emails is not true. I have e-mailed them quite a few times. The longest wait happened in July about a production time and I got a reply in less than 24 hours. My message went out at 8:27pm CST and they replied the next morning at 9:39am CST. Can't ask for much better than that.

My question is why did you modify the bumper to make things work? If its not right, you should have made them make it right. Not to flame, but chances are some problems you're experiencing might be from your own attempts at fixing things. You said it yourself, you not only filed the latch but you also "had to hammer the stop pin in." That leads me to believe user error during installation might be a factor on some things on your list. The problem with the tailgate scraping the bumper and the hitch also leads one to believe that the base may not be installed right.

Maybe you should have a qualified 4wd shop or fabricator look over everything and see if its something simple that's causing the problems. Sometimes when you get frustrated you get tunnel-vision and forget the simplest of things, like drilling out that hole of powder-coat so that the pin will go in correctly. Granted they probably should have done that before shipping, but things do get missed sometimes. You could also try taking everything off and install without the hitch. See if the other things work/align correctly after doing that. Then worry about getting the hitch back on there. It really sounds like the main portion is skewed somehow based on your descriptions and what I've seen of that bumper. The tailgate should be at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher than the bumper.
Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
No it's not. There are shims and washers (some optional) provided to prevent the problems you're having with the tire carrier. You should call and speak with Jim and give him a fair opportunity to address your problems before blasting him on the Internet.
Why are ya'll flaming this guy? He bought a product..waited an insaine amount of time to get it..then expected it to fit when he put it on. There is not a person on this forum who would have just boxed the unit up and sent it back after waiting 7 months to get it for something not quite fitting right, and then tell him he is lieing about emails and it's user error that it isn't fitting right...

He has the right to post a review about a product he bought. He isn't "bashing" Jim..he is giving an honest opinion about a product Jim makes, and quite frankly from what I read, they did do a crappy job at making the bumper.

Now, he is not to the point yet where they may or may not make it right, and in my opinion that makes or brakes a company. Customer service after the sale is what keeps you customers coming back for more. However, bottom line this guy is telling you he got a crappy product and your getting mad at him for telling the truth, then what is the point of sharing information in an open forum if a guy can't speak whats on his mind. Sometimes products suck and it sounds like this one did.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Wrangler4Life
Got any pics? I'd like to see
I'll work on it.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yomondo
First of all this is my review of the product. Secondly when someone spends this much money on a product designed specifically for their vehicle (regardless of the wait), you should expect the parts should fit. One or two problems, eh, not good but not a big deal, but this many, there's no excuse for that. I contacted Shrockworks. They offerred one suggestion that's not too painful to try (which I haven't yet) and a couple of suggestions that would require me partially or fully reinstalling the bumper. That's ridiculous that the customer should have to do this. They offered no solution for my biggest problem which is the tire carrier hitting the bumper. This stuff should just work. I don't get why you guys don't see that and it's simply amazing how you people act like Shrockworks couldn't possibly be at fault. What color pill did you guys swallow anyway?
We can all understand your frustration. Most of us have been in the same boat when something we purchased didn't meet or expectations.

All manufactuering companies experience this, no matter how tight their quality control is, occassionaly a bad product makes it out the door. I find that you can judge a lot about a business not only by the quality of the products, but also how they deal with the inevitable "oopps".

"Your: review was very thorough about what was wrong, but your initial post said nothing about what if anything Shrockworks was doing to remedy the situation.

Today is my "blue" pill day, the rest of the week I will be on "reds" (really )
Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mdnky
I know that part about emails is not true. I have e-mailed them quite a few times. The longest wait happened in July about a production time and I got a reply in less than 24 hours. My message went out at 8:27pm CST and they replied the next morning at 9:39am CST. Can't ask for much better than that.
I've been emailing them back and forth a few times since yesterday. They've been quite responsive. It's nice to see that they've improved here. In the past my experience with them in this regard has been very different.

Originally Posted by willywaxer1
Thanks for your sharing your issues! I was about to order this bumper for my son's rig until I did a search and saw this thread. I would be very unhappy with the wait and the crappy fit after spending such $$$$.
Don't completely write them off just yet. They make great stuff. I just think I got a lemon due to the fact that they're using a new laser cutting company that may need to make adjustments in their specs. Hopefully they can identify the cause of the problems and make corrections so that others won't have the same problems. Maybe before you order you can call them and reference these problems and see if they've fixed them.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Nice to see you are getting some resolve on this issue you are having.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

I really like my Shrockworks rear bumper and tire carrier, took about 3 hours for me to install, works fine. I also have the front bumper and sliders.

If I had to build another JK, I would with out a doubt buy from Shrockworks again.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

7 months for a bumper..piss on that. There is now excuse for that, I don't care how good they are.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by yomondo
Originally Posted by Wrangler4Life
Got any pics? I'd like to see
I'll work on it.
Here's a picture I took with my phone of the sagging tire carrier. The picture was taken from the left side of the bumper, showing the latching end of the tire carrier. You can see how when open, the bottom of the tire carrier hangs about 1/8" below the top of the bumper, requiring me to lift the tire carrier and all of its weight whenever opening or closing it to prevent scraping or banging of the powder coated surfaces. My wife doesn't have the strength to do this, so I can't have her opening the back of the Jeep anymore. I sent this picture to Jim yesterday afternoon, but haven't heard back yet. I honestly don't know if there's anything they'd be able to do to correct something like this short of building a new bumper.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rutdigger
7 months for a bumper..piss on that. There is now excuse for that, I don't care how good they are.
X2 7 month wait is insane

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Shrockworks Rear Bumper Tire Carrier