Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Disappointed with Shrockworks Rear Bumper Tire Carrier

Old 10-19-2010, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
No it's not. There are shims and washers (some optional) provided to prevent the problems you're having with the tire carrier. You should call and speak with Jim and give him a fair opportunity to address your problems before blasting him on the Internet.
The shims don't address the tire carrier drooping down below the bumper. I communicated with Jim. He didn't have a solution for this.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ghost63
I would agree that an attempt to allow the manufactuer resolve the problem first before blasting them on the forum would be a better approach.
First of all this is my review of the product. Secondly when someone spends this much money on a product designed specifically for their vehicle (regardless of the wait), you should expect the parts should fit. One or two problems, eh, not good but not a big deal, but this many, there's no excuse for that. I contacted Shrockworks. They offerred one suggestion that's not too painful to try (which I haven't yet) and a couple of suggestions that would require me partially or fully reinstalling the bumper. That's ridiculous that the customer should have to do this. They offered no solution for my biggest problem which is the tire carrier hitting the bumper. This stuff should just work. I don't get why you guys don't see that and it's simply amazing how you people act like Shrockworks couldn't possibly be at fault. What color pill did you guys swallow anyway?
Old 10-19-2010, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeremy22
Do you work for them by any chance?
Classy. You might not always agree with Mark, but he unfailingly tries to be a voice of reason and calm on this forum. Your juvenile accusation does nothing to advance this discussion.

It sounds like the OP got a bad bumper. It happens. He could have taken it up with Shrock but instead he chose to come here and complain first. That's his right, but I agree with Mark: might have been better to contact Shrock. They take great pride in their products and I'm sure they would try to make things right.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

i agree with the op.

i didn't see him blast anyone. he wrote a review and he wasn't happy and nor should he be. i'd be pissed if i bought it for 50 bucks from the local wrecker and it had that many problems during installation.

we won't even talk about the wait thing cause it has been beaten to death already.

Last edited by Hbomb; 10-19-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Folks this is America and the last time I checked we still have the freedom of speech, that is until Obama takes that away HA HA! But seriously a bumper install is about as straight forward as you can get. there is no reason to accuse this man of installing it wrong. he is obviously smart enough to make a bad product functional. this is a forum and I want all the honest feedback I can get!! I was actually looking at this bumper as a option for my jeep (not now). I thank Him for his honesty!! to the industry nut huggers unless you were there helping this man put it on don't try to bad mouth him he wrote a in depth install review that tells me the factory was in a rush to ship out the back ordered parts and F***ed up they should have to hear about it!!! they are in control of the fabrication not the consumer, the mark up on fab parts is outrageous so the should be perfect!
Old 10-19-2010, 07:09 AM
JK Freak

So let me try and ease the tension a bit here by telling y'all what I love about this bumper. I love the way it looks on my Jeep. I love the lower center of mass compared to others. I love that it still allows me to kinda see out the back window when other brands don't. I love being able to lock my jerry cans in. These were all reasons why I chose this bumper in the first place, and because of all these reasons if I had it to do all over again, as frustrating as this whole experience has been for me, I'd probably make the same decision.

Now back to business. Here's where I stand right now.

1. My biggest issue is the tire carrier hitting the bumper. The metal part of the bumper, not just the plastic plate on top where it latches. Shrockworks hasn't provided a solution for me on this yet. I followed up with them this moring and I'm awaiting a response.

2. The tailgate clearance issue when opening and closing the tailgate is my second biggest issue. Shrockworks suggested maybe my tailgate is sagging due to too much weight (such as a bigger tire) being on it, but I've never had anything but the stock spare on there. They suggested trying to loosen the tailgate hinge bolts to see if the tailgate can be lifted up any. I haven't tried this yet, but I will. But I doubt this will do anything for the right side tailgate clearance issue. It really sounds like the bumper is too high. The bumper bolts into seven existing holes and one drilled hole. I don't see how any possible user error there would cause the bumper to be mounted too high. I think I may have gotten a bad one. They did mention that they're using a new laser cutter, and possibly their measurements are a tad off. They said that they can provide me with some spacers that will lower the bumper, but that will require reinstalling the entire bumper from the beginning. I might end up having to do this, but man, what a hassle.

3. Regarding the tire carrier stop pin not fitting into the hole, Shrockworks said that they've heard of this problem before and is probably due to too much powder coating collecting in there and suggest I try drilling it out some, which would require me removing the tire carrier. I guess I'll have to do this at some point, and if I end up having to reinstall the entire bumper for #2 above, I may as well take care of this at that time too.

These are my only remaining issues. Everything else, although inconvenient, have been dealt with.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:10 AM
JK Junkie

Nice.... seven months to get a shitty fitting installation that's quality. And a rear bumper is about as simple an installation as you can get. you might have to drill some holes out as stated, but in no way should cause this much complication.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
Classy. You might not always agree with Mark, but he unfailingly tries to be a voice of reason and calm on this forum. Your juvenile accusation does nothing to advance this discussion.
You're kidding right? It was a legitimate question.

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
It sounds like the OP got a bad bumper. It happens. He could have taken it up with Shrock but instead he chose to come here and complain first. That's his right, but I agree with Mark: might have been better to contact Shrock. They take great pride in their products and I'm sure they would try to make things right.
It's the internet. He can vent here all he likes, while contacting Shrock at the same time. He has been waiting almost endlessly for this product. I can only imagine his frustration with the fit and finish of the product being such a problem.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeremy22
You're kidding right? It was a legitimate question.
Actually if Mark did work for Shrockworks he would be in serious violation of forum rules by not registering as such, making it very clear. I have a lot of respect and appreciation for Mark and his contributions to this forum, but I do disagree with him here.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Got any pics? I'd like to see

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Shrockworks Rear Bumper Tire Carrier