Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Disappointed with Shrockworks Rear Bumper Tire Carrier

Old 11-22-2010, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPop
and had the manufacturer said, we are extremely sorry for that and it should have never left our doors. We will be issuing a call tag for it, sending out a new bumper that will certainly meet your expectations along with a set of rock rails for your troubles. Then the review isn't worth a damn and they never are until you give the other party a chance to respond first, off line and one to one.
I disagree...again. Big surprise.

The review is still completely relevant. In your example they would have wasted at least 7 months and several hours of his own time.

Throwing free stuff at a problem doesn't give you the right to pretend it didn't happen.

You are entitled to your opinion but so is the OP and so is everyone else. I think you are completely off base and if it happened to you I'd bet you would sing a completely different tune.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Yomondo, some of the examples you cite are different. There's no error to be corrected in a poor movie. And, if you happened to buy a set of tires and one was defective, yes, it would be silly to post a long complaint without even contacting the vendor and asking for a replacement.

However, some of your criticisms of the bumper are unwarranted. And some of them are warranted. Yes, you have corrected (to a certain extent) that later in the thread. But, the problem is, someone is going to read the first post and may not read what is now eight pages of posts to learn the full story. Instead, they'll read your review in which you did not give the manufacturer of a complex product an opportunity to correct your own mistakes (such as not realizing that the jerry can holders had to be bent slightly by design).

As for what several other folks are saying about JPop and me trying to restrain your "freedom" to post a critical review: That is absolutely NOT the case, and you and they know that damn well. We've only said that on something as complex as a bumper, tire carrier, and jerry can racks, it's better to give the manufacturer an opportunity to correct their and YOUR mistakes before taking to the Internet. Your original post didn't solicit help from forum members because the vendor happened to be closed; had that been the tone of it, it would have been better received. You've now convinced a significant number of people Shrockworks manufactures a lousy product, when the truth is that some of your alleged problems are multiple symptoms of a single problem, and some of them aren't problems at all (you just didn't like that design choice).

Again, it's unfortunate that you had these issues. But, as folks say Shrockworks should increase their production capacity, just remember that no Shrockworks bumper owners that I recall have ever posted such a long laundry list of alleged problems in the past three years when they had their prior production arrangements. Maybe folks should let Jim run his business, and maybe they should let you and him work out the solutions to yours.
Maybe your own advice should apply to you....maybe you should let the OP post whatever he feels like regarding HIS Jeep and if Shrockworks feels wronged they could come on here and defend themselves rather than you doing it?

Maybe that would be a good idea huh?
Old 06-05-2011, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got mine on two days ago and eveything works great. Wish you had the same experience. I have the front and the back w/o the tire carrier. My son will get the old back bumper. I bought mine through a local dealer and got my front and back w/o the carrier the same day. I had to wait for three weeks for the tire carrier.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rusty jeep
I got mine on two days ago and eveything works great. Wish you had the same experience. I have the front and the back w/o the tire carrier. My son will get the old back bumper. I bought mine through a local dealer and got my front and back w/o the carrier the same day. I had to wait for three weeks for the tire carrier.
I'm very happy with their front bumper and somewhat satisfied with their rock rails. Hopefully they've made some improvements with their rear bumper tire carrier, and I wish you success with yours.

I only leave one jerry can mount (passenger side) on the tire carrier now, and won't put the other jerry can mount or trail rack on unless I know I'll need them. They're just too heavy, and I kinda wish I didn't purchase those now, because they're just taking up space in my garage. The bushing on the tire carrier can't handle the weight. Even without the trail rack and other jerry can mount on, my tire carrier is still drooping and hitting the bumper. I'm not too happy with that.

Also, the one jerry can mount that I've been using has a crack in one of the welds, and is currently back at Shrockworks getting repaired.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was happy with my Shrockworks rear tire carrier on my 2008 JK. I didn't have any problems and the powder coat held up well. I just traded my 08 in for a 2011 and deceided to go with LOD this time around due to the long wait of Shrockworks products. Overall I was happy with the Shrock product but couldn't stomach the wait again.

BTW... I have a Shrockworks passenger side Jerry Can mount in the For Sale section if anyone is interested.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:04 AM
JK Freak

I purchased from Shrockworks once on my 09 and will never do it again. I had some of the similar issues and I waited around 3 months or more for the damn thing. They keep getting all kinds of accolades on the forum, but like the man said, they don't participate in this forum, cannot be reached via e-mail, and I think it is time we just quit using them and maybe they would get smart.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by largo
... they don't participate in this forum, cannot be reached via e-mail ...
Valid points you make. I would just point out that through three orders with them over a two year period, I never had a problem getting them on the phone.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this whole experience quite depressing. A new tire carrier should have been sent straight out and the shipping of the old one back covered by the manufacturer. That's what good manufacturers do. I'll be looking for a rear bumper in the near future but think I'll personally stick with those I know will take care of me. When you have to pay more for shipping and customs than the initial cost of the bumper threads like this can save you a fortune. Thanks for the heads-up OP and sorry to hear Shrockworks didn't do right by you.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Shrockworks Rear Bumper Tire Carrier