Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Disappointed with Shrockworks Rear Bumper Tire Carrier

Old 10-31-2010, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rubiman
Shrockworks seems to be going downhill....
One customer complains about a bumper and the company is going down hill?
Old 10-31-2010, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by yomondo

I just received the spacers yesterday that are supposed to fix the drooping tire carrier and bumper too high problems.
Turns out the one of the washers they sent in the spacer kit to fix the drooping tire carrier is the wrong size. Jim responded to my email today (Sunday, I was surprised) saying "I thought this through more, and you're right". So now they'll have to send me out some new washers to fix the fix.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

That stinks!!

I feel your pain bro.. nothing like having a new toy and not being able to get it on the rig..

I got an new bumper/winch/axles.. but I can't get them on till I get the ball joint kit next week! Damn you slow cheap regular shipping!!! DAMN YOU!
Old 10-31-2010, 10:32 AM
JK Junkie

Default Stating the Obvious

Originally Posted by feroxjb
. . . nothing like having a new toy and not being able to get it on the rig..
Unless yomondo is guilty of some elaborate canard, I believe he already has it mounted on his JK, the result of which predicated the genesis of this entire discussion.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:01 AM
JK Junkie

Default Updated Status

Turns out the one of the washers they sent in the spacer kit to fix the drooping tire carrier is the wrong size. Jim responded to my email today (Sunday, I was surprised) saying "I thought this through more, and you're right". So now they'll have to send me out some new washers to fix the fix.
yomondo - you spent the 3-4 hours uninstalling/reinstalling for the washer fix yet? If so, outcome?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
yomondo - you spent the 3-4 hours uninstalling/reinstalling for the washer fix yet? If so, outcome?
No. Been too busy, plus I've got quite a few other mods higher on my list waiting to get done.

I probably won't end up doing the spacer/washer fix for the drooping tire carrier because I don't have much confidence in it. First of all they did zero testing on the fix, based on the fact that the first set of washers they sent me didn't even fit. And the second set of washers they sent don't fit cleanly. Too much wiggle room. And just thinking about raising up the tire carrier 3/16" on the pin would put more stress on that pin. That tire carrier is really heavy with all the accessories on it, and I'd hate to see that tire carrier fall off on the trail, or in the driveway onto the hood of my wife's car. I feel better just dealing with the drooping tire carrier.

The issue with the tailgate hitting the bumper has been resolved. I loosened up the tailgate hinge bolts and was able to move the tailgate to where it clears the bumper by 1/16". Not much, but solves the problem.

I still want to fix the issue with the tailgate stop pin being unusable because of the hole being too small. This will require me to undo my wiring for the third brake light, and remove the tire carrier. Like I said there are other mods higher on my list, so I don't see myself fixing this for some time. For now I just deal with it.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:22 PM
JK Junkie

Default Shrockworks Rear Bumper

Sorry to hear that the issues with your Shrockworks bumper are still unresolved. I totally agree with you respecting the tire carrier pin. Adding a few washers sounds like a cheesy solution for an out of spec quality problem on this one bumper - at least for others sake I hope that this issue is specific to this one bumper (i.e., it's not indicative of some endemic design/manufacturing flaw).

I can't even imagine how to remove the tire carrier from the bumper swing pin - I had to use a baby sledge hammer to impale the carrier onto my Shrockworks bumper in the first place. You planning to beat it off of the pin?

Feel very fortunate that mine is holding up well with no rattling, etc. Maybe yours will get there one day.

No. Been too busy, plus I've got quite a few other mods higher on my list waiting to get done.

I probably won't end up doing the spacer/washer fix for the drooping tire carrier because I don't have much confidence in it. First of all they did zero testing on the fix, based on the fact that the first set of washers they sent me didn't even fit. And the second set of washers they sent don't fit cleanly. Too much wiggle room. And just thinking about raising up the tire carrier 3/16" on the pin would put more stress on that pin. That tire carrier is really heavy with all the accessories on it, and I'd hate to see that tire carrier fall off on the trail, or in the driveway onto the hood of my wife's car. I feel better just dealing with the drooping tire carrier.

The issue with the tailgate hitting the bumper has been resolved. I loosened up the tailgate hinge bolts and was able to move the tailgate to where it clears the bumper by 1/16". Not much, but solves the problem.

I still want to fix the issue with the tailgate stop pin being unusable because of the hole being too small. This will require me to undo my wiring for the third brake light, and remove the tire carrier. Like I said there are other mods higher on my list, so I don't see myself fixing this for some time. For now I just deal with it.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldnt be able to keep it.. Did you try to return it?
Old 11-22-2010, 01:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Sorry to hear that the issues with your Shrockworks bumper are still unresolved. I totally agree with you respecting the tire carrier pin. Adding a few washers sounds like a cheesy solution for an out of spec quality problem on this one bumper - at least for others sake I hope that this issue is specific to this one bumper (i.e., it's not indicative of some endemic design/manufacturing flaw).

I can't even imagine how to remove the tire carrier from the bumper swing pin - I had to use a baby sledge hammer to impale the carrier onto my Shrockworks bumper in the first place. You planning to beat it off of the pin?

Feel very fortunate that mine is holding up well with no rattling, etc. Maybe yours will get there one day.
I'm moving on and living with it the way it is. It's disappointing, but tolerable. I also honestly hope no one else has these problems.

I'm not expecting any trouble removing the tire carrier. It slipped it pretty easily. And it seems to be holding up well also, with no rattling.

Originally Posted by ingramJK
I wouldnt be able to keep it.. Did you try to return it?
No, I didn't. I'm willing to deal with it.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JPop

For myself and others the internet and a forum isn't the first place I go to try and find resolution, but the last.
No you are right but an internet forum IS where you go to talk about your Jeep and things you bought for your Jeep and what you think of the things you bought for your Jeep.

If things started with the post after speaking with the manufacturer, I wouldn't have had any issues and it is far more revealing than the first post. The first post only had a single perception with undelivered expectations and no course for remedy. The second post, after speaking with the manufacturer framed the situation better with setting what the manufacturer believed the expectations to be and where they fell short of the customers. In other words the whole story, and by no means would I buy their product nor am I apologizing for them.
The whole story unfolded in the thread. What makes you think that you get to decide what order things get told or posted or in what manner anyone else but YOU chooses to discuss on a forum?

There is simply a way you deal with things in fairness and it doesn't involve immediately hiring an attorney, calling the police or blasting away on the internet. You confront the other party straight up and save the rest for when your first crack at diplomacy fails.
He didn't hire an attorney.
He didn't call the police.
He didn't blast away on the internet.

Get over yourself already.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Shrockworks Rear Bumper Tire Carrier