Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Disappointed with MPG on 2012 Rubi

Old 03-25-2012, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed with MPG on 2012 Rubi

Am I out of line of this; We drove Illinois to Sedona, 3700 miles, and got 14.5 mpg out with 16 mpg on the return. What the heck, I have a 2012 Rubi with AutoTrans., 4.10 gears, 2" lift, on 33" STT's which measure 32 actual. I have used the AEV calibrator to adjust for tire size. The transmission shifted good and I didn't lack power on hills, highways, trails and it felt like the shift points were good. I average 15 mpg around town driving to work and back. My 2007 Sahara got and easy 16 around town, and 19+ highway. It was an Automatic, with same diameter tires (I swapped over these to my new one), 2.5" lift and it had 4.10's from the factory also.

I guess I figured that the new power with the extra gear in the AT would have give me improved mileage. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would have assumed better mileage as well but thats not why we buy Jeeps. Is it possible you were encountering strong head winds both ways?
Old 03-25-2012, 04:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Computer telling you that or did you hand calculate?
Old 03-25-2012, 05:04 AM
JK Newbie

Are you relying on the Jeep's computer to tell you what the MPG is? If so I wouldn't really trust those numbers. I have a Ford F-250 work truck that tells me by the computer that it is getting 11.8 MPG.....when I figure the actual it is more like 9.1 MPG....The same with my personal truck which is a Dodge Sport with a hemi.....the puter tells me it is getting 16.8 when it is actually doing more like 17.5....my calculations are not exact....I just pack the fuel tank to the brim and figure the mileage divided by the gallons used. I have bigger tires on my Jeep and have not purchased the Pro Cal yet, but it is coming, so I haven't even tried to figure MPG's on it yet.....It is not going to be good though. As we all know we don't buy these for the economy aspect of them, but it sure would be nice to spend less to get to Moab and be able to spend more there and on the way.....LOL....
Old 03-25-2012, 05:09 AM
JK Junkie

I started keeping track of my mpg using the iPhone app mpg calc

Not sure why because I don't really care what my mpg is, mpg sort of goes against the whole jeep thing but it sort of let's me keep an eye on performance trends

I'm getting 17-18 mpg overall on a stock 2012 jk 2 door sport s with a semi lead foot driver

Matthew
Old 03-25-2012, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeimep
I would have assumed better mileage as well but thats not why we buy Jeeps. Is it possible you were encountering strong head winds both ways?
Side/Headwind out with a bit of a tail or side wind back.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Computer telling you that or did you hand calculate?
I actually did both for a while and it came out close.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well that might help explain the difference on trip out vs. trip back but it still seems low to me.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

compare the weights of your tires vs. you stock ones...i didnt see if you did wheels as well, but anyway there is a decent amount of weight difference from your MTs and the stock skinnies they come with. We were getting around 19 by the computer then the new 34s and xd monsters now it says 14s.
I know you dont want to hear this, but you dont buy jeeps or trucks for fuel economy. Yes its nice to get the most you can, but its just not real life. Driving a vehicle camparable to driving a sheet of plywood into a headwind, you arent going to get that great of mpgs, espcially when you start modding wheels tires.

We actually drive my f150 when we go places. its got a 6 inch lift and i get better hand calclulated mileage then the jeep!..haha. I think it partly has to do with the crappy engines they put in these jeeps. They shouldnt bother with the v6 and go to a smaller v8. mileage would at least be the same and it wouldnt be a turd to drive.
End quote.......get a prius
Old 03-25-2012, 05:27 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be very mad with that mpg. Sounds odd. My 2000 TJ with 33s and 3.07 gears averaged 15 with 17 highway.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with MPG on 2012 Rubi