Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Diggin the Airaid CAI

Old 05-23-2010, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diggin the Airaid CAI

Installed Airaid cold air intake yesterday and have put about 200 miles on it already. Mostly highway miles cruising 80 mph on the way to campgrounds. I know some people are against CAI and a lot are skeptics, but I am very pleased with my purchase. I am expecting some mpg increase once I stop foolin around with it. Makes the Jeep sound really throaty when accelerating and should pair well with the MBPR exhaust that I should be receiving tomorrow or tuesday. I can feel a small boost in performance...wasn't expecting a whole lot from a new intake alone, that's why I am pairing it up with a new exhaust and superchips.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:42 AM
JK Junkie

Don't know why they call them cold air intakes. It's an open element air filter, non-enclosed, sucking in the hot air from the engine bay.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
Don't know why they call them cold air intakes. It's an open element air filter, non-enclosed, sucking in the hot air from the engine bay.
I used to think differently about intakes but i'm with you on that one, when I think cold air intake I think the kind that you would see on a Honda or a Mitsubishi or something that actually sucks in cooler air. Thats not to say that some of these intakes for JK's dont add something, I think one of the plastic/poly tubed ones with the addition of a high flow cat back setup might add something. For me it's probably not enough to justify the cost of both pieces so i'll stick with a Wix or K&N replacement filter and my MBRP cat back.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea, not too sure if the air being takin in is any cooler...I dont even think the box it came in says anything about cold air...It's called a "High Performance Air Intake System".
Old 05-23-2010, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Afe cai

I bought the AFE unit, and the housing that the filter sits in is actually gasketed around the top, like it is supposed to seal up against the hood. IF, and I say if, it does, that might seal out some of the heat from the engine compartment. Some of the air must be passing through the radiator opening or around the side of the hood. I could tell a seat of the pants difference between it and the stock unit. Just my personal experience.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grady
I bought the AFE unit, and the housing that the filter sits in is actually gasketed around the top, like it is supposed to seal up against the hood. IF, and I say if, it does, that might seal out some of the heat from the engine compartment. Some of the air must be passing through the radiator opening or around the side of the hood. I could tell a seat of the pants difference between it and the stock unit. Just my personal experience.
Yea the Airaid also has the gasket around the top...not sure how much of a seal it provides though...I am very pleased with the results. Maybe this is just me but I prefer a "tougher" sounding engine and it definitely beefs it up!

Quick Reply: Diggin the Airaid CAI