Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Differential oil question

Old 02-23-2016, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thank all of you for taking the time to reply, I have the info I need now.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
I wonder how many folks apply the traditional RTV gasket maker properly? I suspect this to be the source of the problem with some folks having leaky differential covers.

Apply a bead that is 1/4" to one surface and then mount the differential cover immediately. Finger tighten the bolts. Wait one hour for the gasket maker to set. Tighten to torque specifications (I think it's 30 ft lbs). Takes 24 hours to cure but you can put oil back in after torqued to spec.
i prefer over kill i apply rtv in a thin later on the diff side then put on a felpro gasket then apply another thin later on the diff cover and sandwich it all together and snug it up. have never had a leak but it can be a pita to get back off if you dont have a sharp pry tool.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used lube lockers on mine too, no leaks. If you go that route, just follow the diagram on how to tighten the cover. You torque the bolts in a certain order twice at two different torque settings.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have lube lockers on mine. They're pretty nice. Not recommended for reuse but I am sure they should get a couple uses. A lot nicer than messing with rtv, and like suggested, it takes 24 hours before you're suppose to add fluid. I've always just put the rtv on and waiting about 30 minutes to tighten bolts, and then added fluid. I'd say 3/4 I didn't leak. Much nicer with the lube locker, especially if you're impatient like me.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
I have lube lockers on mine. They're pretty nice. Not recommended for reuse but I am sure they should get a couple uses. A lot nicer than messing with rtv, and like suggested, it takes 24 hours before you're suppose to add fluid. I've always just put the rtv on and waiting about 30 minutes to tighten bolts, and then added fluid. I'd say 3/4 I didn't leak. Much nicer with the lube locker, especially if you're impatient like me.
i wait about as long as it takes me to torque all the bolts down and go to the shed to get the gear oil and fill it up.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

A lot nicer than messing with rtv, and like suggested, it takes 24 hours before you're suppose to add fluid.
Where does that requirement come from? No mention of it in the service manual. It says to apply the sealant, install and torque the cover, and add the fluid.
Same with the automatic transmission pan. No waiting.
It has always worked for me.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Where does that requirement come from? No mention of it in the service manual. It says to apply the sealant, install and torque the cover, and add the fluid.
Same with the automatic transmission pan. No waiting.
It has always worked for me.
Actually doesn't say wait 24 hours. It's on the tubes of sealant themselves.

Apply sealant, put the diff cover on and finger tighten the bolts. Wait one hour. Then tighten bolts to torque specifications. Sealant will cure in 24 hours.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by jedg
Actually doesn't say wait 24 hours. It's on the tubes of sealant themselves.

Apply sealant, put the diff cover on and finger tighten the bolts. Wait one hour. Then tighten bolts to torque specifications. Sealant will cure in 24 hours.
Even that is not necessary. In fact, the service manual says the installation must be completed within 3 to 5 minutes of applying the sealant. Otherwise, the sealant must be removed and reapplied.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Even that is not necessary. In fact, the service manual says the installation must be completed within 3 to 5 minutes of applying the sealant. Otherwise, the sealant must be removed and reapplied.
I hate to tell you, but I don't believe the manufacturer of our jeeps is the same as the manufacturer of RTV.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

I hate to tell you, but I don't believe the manufacturer of our jeeps is the same as the manufacturer of RTV.
I can tell you it works, though. Haven't had any leaks yet.
Maybe it works because the sealant is squeezed so thin when torqued within 3 to 5 minutes.

Last edited by ronjenx; 02-24-2016 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Differential oil question