Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Differential oil question

Old 02-23-2016, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential oil question

I'm putting a Poison Spyder cover on the kid's rear Dana 44, and I'm curious to know which gear oil to use.
I'm not sure if this axle has LSD, so I'm going to use synthetic oil, just in case.
The numbers are confusing, and I think I need 75-140 oil, as this vehicle has 4:11 gear ratio.
Am I correct?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tomsryt
I'm putting a Poison Spyder cover on the kid's rear Dana 44, and I'm curious to know which gear oil to use.
I'm not sure if this axle has LSD, so I'm going to use synthetic oil, just in case.
The numbers are confusing, and I think I need 75-140 oil, as this vehicle has 4:11 gear ratio.
Am I correct?
Yes, I believe that's correct. I put the same covers on mine (which has a LSD in the back, and 3.73 gears) and that's what I used.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomsryt
I'm putting a Poison Spyder cover on the kid's rear Dana 44, and I'm curious to know which gear oil to use. I'm not sure if this axle has LSD, so I'm going to use synthetic oil, just in case. The numbers are confusing, and I think I need 75-140 oil, as this vehicle has 4:11 gear ratio. Am I correct? Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
4.10 would be your gearing. I've always ran 75-90w in mine until last night I switched to 140w because of adding an Aussie and trying to quiet it down.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i used 75w90 in mine 1.5 in the front 2.5 in the back i belive.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:38 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

SAE 80W-90 (API GL-5) or equivalent.
For trailer towing, use MOPAR Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-140 or equivalent.

If the new cover is bigger than the OEM cover, you will need to have more oil in the differential.

The oil fill plug on the new cover may be higher than the OEM plug. Filling to that level would be way too much oil.
Make sure the oil level is a little above the bottom inside of the axle tube so oil will flow out to the end bearings.
A bent zip tie makes a good dip stick.

Last edited by ronjenx; 02-23-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use 80W-90 in mine front and rear. Most 80W-90 comes with the LSD additive already in it, so just check the bottle. That's good advice on filling them up. I know my Solid covers hold more fluid than stock, but you should still put the stock amount of fluid back in or you'll be blowing lube out of your breather tube. If I remember my numbers correctly, the front Dana 30 holds 1 quart and the rear Dana 44 holds 2.5 quarts.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:22 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
I know my Solid covers hold more fluid than stock, but you should still put the stock amount of fluid back in or you'll be blowing lube out of your breather tube.
I don't quite understand your thinking.
If your Solid covers hold more oil, the stock amount of oil will be at a lower level in the housing. It's important the oil is at the correct level so oil will be able to lubricate the outer axle bearings.

Am I misunderstanding your post?
Old 02-23-2016, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think we're sorta saying the same thing. LOL In other words, don't fill it to the bottom of the fill hole with aftermarket covers.

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I don't quite understand your thinking.
If your Solid covers hold more oil, the stock amount of oil will be at a lower level in the housing. It's important the oil is at the correct level so oil will be able to lubricate the outer axle bearings.

Am I misunderstanding your post?
Old 02-23-2016, 12:11 PM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Would suggest using lube locker gaskets if replacing cover as they are more forgiving if knocked on rocks at not leaking afterwards.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ade
Would suggest using lube locker gaskets if replacing cover as they are more forgiving if knocked on rocks at not leaking afterwards.
I wonder how many folks apply the traditional RTV gasket maker properly? I suspect this to be the source of the problem with some folks having leaky differential covers.

Apply a bead that is 1/4" to one surface and then mount the differential cover immediately. Finger tighten the bolts. Wait one hour for the gasket maker to set. Tighten to torque specifications (I think it's 30 ft lbs). Takes 24 hours to cure but you can put oil back in after torqued to spec.

Quick Reply: Differential oil question