Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Differential gear oil level

Old 04-06-2012, 02:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Differential gear oil level

Changing my stock diff covers to ARB covers on my 2010 JKU Rubi....I have the facrory specs on the amounts of gear oil for "stock" covers....can someone tell me at what actual level the oil should be, say relative to the bottom of the axle tubes???? the ARB covers have a "dipstick" that I would like to mark correctly....Thanks
Old 04-06-2012, 02:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the old covers, the bottom of the fill hole is the "Full" mark.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fill amount would be the same as factory spec. Everyone's full mark with a modified Jeep is going to be different, depends on height of lift. So the full line on the dipstick is going to be different. Best way to be sure you have the correct amount of gear oil is to measure it going in and then make a mark for future reference.

Front Differential Capacity:
2.7 pints (1.35 quarts)

Rear Differential Capacity:
4.75 pints (2.375 quarts)

Click image for larger version

Name:	RearDiffOilLevel.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	300314
Old 04-06-2012, 04:32 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Putting a number on the quantity is pointless.

Go by the great picture above to ensure there is enough oil to bring it above the bottom of the axle tube. This will allow the oil to get to the outer axle bearings.
Same level applies to the front, too.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:59 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by 4LCKD10RUBIUNLTD
I believe the ARB cover allow for more oil for better cooling. I use 2 qts in the front & 3 in the rear. Don't be afraid to over fill it won't hurt anything.
That's not a good blanket statement to make. (A little overfill is not a problem.)
Overfilling can cause the oil to spew out the overflow at the least, and can cause the oil to foam at the worst, which is not good for the gears and bearings.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OH9JK
depends on height of lift.
What do you mean by the height of lift? Does it matter? And if so, how do you determine what the correct amount of fluid should be in a X" lift.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:48 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by 09GRNJK
What do you mean by the height of lift? Does it matter? And if so, how do you determine what the correct amount of fluid should be in a X" lift.
The higher the lift, the more the axle may rotate, making the stock fill plug lower.

To ensure the proper fill for almost any situation, see the photograph above, and the post right after it.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:50 AM
JK Junkie

From what I remember, the installation instructions clearly note that the dipstick should be "marked" for the proper oil level. The covers take more oil than OEM covers. So, for my understanding....fill it little by little, put the dipstick back in (without tightening it), check the level, fill as needed again, and confirm the level again.

That is from ARB directly. They also mentioned to make sure to not overfill as the oil "making a mess" is the least of your worries, it can cause a lot worse damage.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The higher the lift, the more the axle may rotate, making the stock fill plug lower.
Now I understand. Not so much more fluid as opposed to different level when using stock cover.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:09 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
From what I remember, the installation instructions clearly note that the dipstick should be "marked" for the proper oil level. The covers take more oil than OEM covers. So, for my understanding....fill it little by little, put the dipstick back in (without tightening it), check the level, fill as needed again, and confirm the level again.

That is from ARB directly. They also mentioned to make sure to not overfill as the oil "making a mess" is the least of your worries, it can cause a lot worse damage.
It's good that they include the dip stick, clearly marked.

But the owner should also know why the oil needs to be at a certain level, so he can double check what the dip stick is indicating on his particular vehicle. Being a little above the bottom of the inside of the axle tube takes precedence over a quantity number, or the mark on a dip stick.

Quick Reply: Differential gear oil level