Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Differential Covers

Old 11-13-2010, 11:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Differential Covers

I don't do a lot of rock crawling, but rocks appear everywhere off-road.

I am interested in adding some protection to my diffs beyond stock, but am weary of cracking the case open.

I am interested in the rugged ridge diff skid plate, does anyone have any experience with this? Is it enough protection?

Do I need the dealer to install this?
Old 11-13-2010, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a number of aftermarket diff covers on the market. A lot of folks go with the Riddlers due to their cost. I don't have any experience with the Rugged Ridge covers, but any aftermarket cover is better than the OEM's. They are scary thin. I have the ARB's and love them, but I got a great deal.

Definitely do it yourself. Replacing the diff covers is one of the easiest mods you can do and will give you an opportunity to see how your gears are holding up.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just changed my front and rear diff fluid the other night, really simple actually. Hardest part is cleaning the mating surface off so you can get a good seal. If I were to do it again I'd get the LubeLocker Gasket instead of using silicone, just because of the mess.

If you've got money to burn them you can get them, but I don't know how necessary they really are with your description.

Here's a complete write-up for swapping out your diff covers http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...r-installation

When I swap mine out, I'm going with Solid for the price and rep.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 11-15-2010 at 03:54 AM. Reason: blacklist mention.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered a set of Riddlers from Northridge. I was going to go with the Solids but I got a great deal from David on the Riddlers and I was somewhat worried about the Solis cover interfering with my e-locker. I was told the Solids have modified their covers to account for that but I didn't want to take the chance of getting an older inventory set or something.

Plus, someone told me that the Solids have been known to seep fluid as they are very porous and that is why Solid is now powdercoating them. Not sure if its true but I have been dealing with a seeping stock cover for so long I don't want to take the chance of it with a new set if I end up scraping any of the powedercoating off on a trail run.

With regards to going with a skid like RR or with a new cover...the fluid has to get changed at some point so might as well just go with a cover. And, at some point you may break the seal banging on a rock so the cover would have to be reset anyway! At least, that is what I was thinking when I made the decision.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not spend any money on a add-on for the stock diff cover. You would be farr better with a replacement cover (or covers) from Solid, Riddler, ARB, or other quality manufacturer. I bought two Riddler covers and two LubeLockers for a GREAT price from Northridge4x4.ca and I have been VERY pleased with them. Install was easy-I did it at the same time that I changes my diff fluid.

While I was in Moab (Strike Ravine) to be specific, I took a very solid hit square on the face of my front diff. The paint got scratched, and that was it. On that same run, I also too a good little hit on my rear diff - one that I am sure would have peeled back the rear diff cover. The Riddler shrugged it off with nothing more than a small gouge to show for it. Money well spent if you ask me.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever you decide install is easy. If you hit your diff enough you will break the seal and going to have to re set it anyhow. Just get some new ones and install them yourself
Old 11-13-2010, 05:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Va
Riddlers and Lube Lockers have worked well for me.
+1. If I never have to deal with RTV and a gasket scraper again, I'll be happy.

Quick Reply: Differential Covers