Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Differential cover bolts

Old 03-23-2009, 07:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not sure about riddler, but the exact size that come with solid covers are these:

5/16″ 18×3/4″ socket head cap screws
Old 03-23-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That gold color of plating you see on the bolts is Zinc, if you want them to stay that gold color for a longer time clear coat the heads after you install them. Just a thought!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 05:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I brought one included with the cover to work, they are definitely 5/16-18 threads overall length on a set of calipers is 1.060" and thread length appears to be .851-.855", so 1 inch in length.
Thanks for the clear coat advice.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

I got a bag of 100 for 11 bucks, grade 8, 1" length, they're too long compared with the ones that came with the Riddlers. About .13-.14" longer overall. Going to bring them back and try to get something shorter.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:09 AM
JK Freak

going with 7/8" 5/16-18 grade 8
Old 07-03-2009, 09:19 AM
JK Junkie

I've heard since grade 8 bolts are much harder than grade 5, they are more susceptible (spelling?) to shearing, like say if a bolt head lands on a rock the head will shear off, where as grade five will give a little. Now if the grade 8 bolts are countersunk and protecting, that isn't an issue, but I've always used grade five for diff covers and sliders, at least on the exposed bolt heads. You could always use grade 8 on all but the bottom few bolts Just a thought
Old 07-03-2009, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by absoluttorque
I've heard since grade 8 bolts are much harder than grade 5, they are more susceptible (spelling?) to shearing, like say if a bolt head lands on a rock the head will shear off, where as grade five will give a little. Now if the grade 8 bolts are countersunk and protecting, that isn't an issue, but I've always used grade five for diff covers and sliders, at least on the exposed bolt heads. You could always use grade 8 on all but the bottom few bolts Just a thought
The difference is hardness is not that great. Here's a VERY informative article that talks about the differences between Grade 5 and Grade 8. The difference in strengths is enough that after a Grade 5 bends and then goes into catastrophic failure, you'll still be within the capability of a Grade 8.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...ners/index.asp
Old 07-03-2009, 12:37 PM
JK Junkie

Nice article and good info Thanks for posting the link
Old 07-03-2009, 01:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by absoluttorque
Nice article and good info Thanks for posting the link
You're very welcome. A member of the Jeep club I belong to (who also happens to be an engineer) sent me the link when I was asking some questions about why Warn specifies Grade 5 bolts for mounting winches.

The answer seems to be "Because they're good enough"...but I tend to lean in the direction of overkill when it comes to picking out bolts, recovery gear, and armour.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bcrouse
I've also found a site (use-enco.com) that sells button head cap bolts in the size (i think) i need. I've also order them in a Grade8. This is what I was originally looking for.

Button Head Cap Screw - Socket Products Type: Button Head Cap Screws Thread Size: 5/16-18 Length Under Head: 7/8 Material: Alloy Steel - Grade 8 Finish/Coating: Black Oxide

Type: Button Head Cap Screws
Thread Size: 5/16-18
Length Under Head (Inch): 7/8
Material: Alloy Steel
Material Grade: Grade 8
Key Size (Inch): 3/16
Finish/Coating: Black Oxide
Manufacturer Part Number: 64060
I guess you've thought about the fact that if you smash a couple of those heads up, you'll play hell getting them out.

Quick Reply: Differential cover bolts