Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Differential 3.73 to 4.56 Help

Old 01-12-2021, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential 3.73 to 4.56 Help

Hi, bare with me I’m new here, I have a 2009 JKU-X, I’m running through doing a lot of repairs and mods, one is re-gearing the front and rear diffs to 4.56 I started tearing into the front and found the horror of which I’m into now, the front Dana 30 was bone dry with bearings all in the bottom of case. I didn’t really care too much cuz I’ve got all new loaded carrier, master install kit and ring and pinion. Now where I do care is the pinion was so far gone that it’s damaged the pinion race galley, I think it’s usable but would really like someone else’s inputs on this... Please see attached picture(s).

Old 01-12-2021, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm no expert, but I did complete my own regear recently. As long as you're sure that you'll be able to get the bearings snug on either side of the pinion and that the races won't move around, I'd say run it. Again- I'm not an expert, but from what I disassembled and reassembled, that would be my perspective.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree, I don't think it's that bad. I would completely disassemble the axle, pressure wash it thoroughly, polish the bearing race surface with emery cloth. Once it's washed and polished, you'll have a better idea of what it looks like and go from there.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The races get replaced so polishing it up shouldn't be an issue.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Okay cool, thanks guys, I was a little worried I’d have to get a new Case, but I thought it’s probably be alright. Thanks for the reassurance, I’m gonna clean it up and put it together today. Once I get it on the rides for a bit I’ll come back with my results. Thanks again
Old 01-12-2021, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The races get replaced so polishing it up shouldn't be an issue.
Yes, I meant the surface the race goes against in the housing. But considering how tight the fit is, it is unlikely that surface is damaged.

Last edited by Junkyard junkie; 01-12-2021 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

I respectfully disagree as it looks like the bearing race support is damaged and thinner in the top area due to spun bearing race.. I think you are looking at a new housing. Micrometer, vernier calipers and good set up guy needed to confirm this IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
doc5339 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
I respectfully disagree as it looks like the bearing race support is damaged and thinner in the top area due to spun bearing race.. I think you are looking at a new housing. Micrometer, vernier calipers and good set up guy needed to confirm this IMHO.
Good observation.
Do you mean the area in the shadow, on the bottom?
I wonder if it looks that way because of the gunk built up?
Old 01-12-2021, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

That housing looks done to me, I think you will find that the race will not fit tightly in and there will be too much play. I did the same to my rear axle after peeling the diff cover, the carrier was fine but the pinion bearing had destroyed the seat and a new race was not snug.
The following users liked this post:
doc5339 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

That’s what I was afraid of, all the old races were still in it right though, just all the bearings were gone, I still had to punch em out pretty good

Quick Reply: Differential 3.73 to 4.56 Help