Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Different toolbox idea...

Old 02-13-2010, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LemonTwist
You should check out the similar storage tub enlargement kit from Woods http://4xfix.com/. It is not quite as large as the one above, but as a kit with full instructions and all required parts, materials and no welding required a good option if you don't want to research and fab something for yourself. Looks stock when finished as it allows the stock cubby lid to be retained. Holds a LOT more than stock and is safe from off-road bashing.

Depending on where you live this might cause issues. Where I live we have yearly vehicle inspections: this would fail the vehicle if it was rivetted in. Here openings in the passenger compartment have to be fully welded. You can likely weld this kit in, buit it looks rivetted in the pix.
I like the concept though! Bigger storage is a GREAT idea!
Old 02-13-2010, 08:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkJason
it looks like you dont have the factory muffler
would this work with the factory muffler, and if so what kind of heat would it be getting from the muffler

also to OP

im not sure how many tools you really want to use but since you have a 2dr ive seen a tailgate pouch or it had several small pouches
Old 02-13-2010, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by warlord
it looks like you dont have the factory muffler
would this work with the factory muffler, and if so what kind of heat would it be getting from the muffler
No, it goes where the muffler lives. You have to relocate it.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkJason
I'm working on something you might be interested in. It's taking a little longer than expected cause I'm taking a heavy load this semester at UA, but I aim to have it done by thanksgiving. I cut the stock tub and scissor jack slot. Welded in a reinforcement tube to keep the body straight, and designed a box to drop in that maximizes the area. I'll be sure to do a full post when I'm done. The top is going to be flush with the bed, and I've got a cam lock for the lid to keep it secure. Here are some shots.
If you did this you will easily triple your storage volume, and you could still load the back with gear. I'm thinking it might be hard to pack the rear of the jeep with a box attached to the tailgate, you'd have to go over the seat to put stuff back there with the gate closed. The depth comes just above the bottom of the frame rail so it's protected, and the notch comes up and over the rear sway bar.

Seriously dude, can you list the dimensions of this whole thing cause that looks sweet and I can totally use one of these
Old 08-20-2010, 11:01 AM
JK Super Freak

How hard would it bhe to relocate the muffler on my own? I have the welding abilities, Ive just never messed with an exhaust before. Also where is the best place to put it?

Quick Reply: Different toolbox idea...