Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Different toolbox idea...

Old 11-09-2009, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
Sounds like you and I are litterally planning out similar ideas, I didnt plan to make mine bolted to the tailgate but I want to make something secure and clean looking.

I too have my under-compartment full of similar items but here was my idea. . .

I plan to empty the tub, modify it to more of a squared off shape instead of round and then built a toolbox to form fit to the back, similar to the aftermarket security ones. There would be a small box-like extension that protrudes from the bottom of the box that will form fit the the newly modified tub. Then I can run some bolts from the inside of the box through the tub to bolt it down. Get some matching carpet to line the box with and itll look factory
I'm working on something you might be interested in. It's taking a little longer than expected cause I'm taking a heavy load this semester at UA, but I aim to have it done by thanksgiving. I cut the stock tub and scissor jack slot. Welded in a reinforcement tube to keep the body straight, and designed a box to drop in that maximizes the area. I'll be sure to do a full post when I'm done. The top is going to be flush with the bed, and I've got a cam lock for the lid to keep it secure. Here are some shots.
If you did this you will easily triple your storage volume, and you could still load the back with gear. I'm thinking it might be hard to pack the rear of the jeep with a box attached to the tailgate, you'd have to go over the seat to put stuff back there with the gate closed. The depth comes just above the bottom of the frame rail so it's protected, and the notch comes up and over the rear sway bar.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by isolated1523
well i'm stuck in tucson, AZ right now so i can't get to the jeep...just somethin i started thinkin about last nite while sittin around in the hotel room. It would have to work with the subwoofer and fit behind the 2-door seat, so we're not talkin all that large. My storage compartment in the floor is already full with my emergency kit, jumper cables, etc. So maybe somethin i could line the inside of with fabric to prevent rattling, and just store some random stuff: towstraps, flashlights, couple u-joints, etc...
SO why won't the Dirtbagz work for you then? Sounds like an in-expense very small space sacrifice for what you want to achieve.

http://www.jeepswag.com/dirtbagz/index.html
Old 11-09-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Junkie

My toolbox that's mounted to the back of the JK weight at least 40-50lbs empty. I have lots of tools, spare shafts, spare driveshafts, fluid, etc.etc.etc.etc. has to weigh a good 140-200lbs. No way the stock tailgate will hold.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I too have had a lot of trouble finding a place for everything in my 2 door and I plan to add the woods storage compartment but until then I pack everything in tight.
Contents of large ammo can: ARB Snatch Strap, Hi-LIft off road base, 1 tree saver, ARB snatch block, and a 20' tow strap, and a roll of duct tape.
Contents of small ammo can: Sockets, one or two of every basic hand tool, zip-ties, and 2 small rags.
On the tailgate I have the Smitybilt gear. Bags hold 20' air hose, air attachments, cable lock, tire pressure gauge, 2 pairs of work gloves, extra hitch pins and padlocks as well.

Still wish I had more space, thats why I considered the Olympic Smuggler bumper. The end caps have storage compartments.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures. Ran outside and took them now in the dark.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00089-20091109-2055.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	32640

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00090-20091109-2055.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	32641
Old 11-09-2009, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sethc84
I too have had a lot of trouble finding a place for everything in my 2 door and I plan to add the woods storage compartment but until then I pack everything in tight.
Contents of large ammo can: ARB Snatch Strap, Hi-LIft off road base, 1 tree saver, ARB snatch block, and a 20' tow strap, and a roll of duct tape.
Contents of small ammo can: Sockets, one or two of every basic hand tool, zip-ties, and 2 small rags.
On the tailgate I have the Smitybilt gear. Bags hold 20' air hose, air attachments, cable lock, tire pressure gauge, 2 pairs of work gloves, extra hitch pins and padlocks as well.

Still wish I had more space, thats why I considered the Olympic Smuggler bumper. The end caps have storage compartments.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures. Ran outside and took them now in the dark.
Attachment 32640

Attachment 32641

I like your setup. I think anything more on the tailgate will make it a pain to pack stuff behind the seat cause you won't be able to close the gate.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Not knowing what all you carry - I use surplus "tanker" tool bags. I put one in the well behind the drivers seat with tools and recovery equipment. Behind the passenger seat I keep a similar sized bag with an extreme first-aid bag. Neither use up any floor space. I too keep the backseat out.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkJason
I'm working on something you might be interested in. It's taking a little longer than expected cause I'm taking a heavy load this semester at UA, but I aim to have it done by thanksgiving. I cut the stock tub and scissor jack slot. Welded in a reinforcement tube to keep the body straight, and designed a box to drop in that maximizes the area. I'll be sure to do a full post when I'm done. The top is going to be flush with the bed, and I've got a cam lock for the lid to keep it secure. Here are some shots.
If you did this you will easily triple your storage volume, and you could still load the back with gear. I'm thinking it might be hard to pack the rear of the jeep with a box attached to the tailgate, you'd have to go over the seat to put stuff back there with the gate closed. The depth comes just above the bottom of the frame rail so it's protected, and the notch comes up and over the rear sway bar.

this pretty much hits the nail on the head, ill definitely be in contact with more questions when it isnt so late and Im not way tired. Beautiful job
Old 11-13-2009, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should check out the similar storage tub enlargement kit from Woods http://4xfix.com/. It is not quite as large as the one above, but as a kit with full instructions and all required parts, materials and no welding required a good option if you don't want to research and fab something for yourself. Looks stock when finished as it allows the stock cubby lid to be retained. Holds a LOT more than stock and is safe from off-road bashing.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak

You have pictures with the lid and carpet in?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkJason

dude i gotta ask, how much did all this cost? cause honestly this is the sweetest thing i've saw to maximize the trunk storage! you should honestly make more and sell them lol cause i would definitely buy one! also how long did it take?

Quick Reply: Different toolbox idea...