Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Different toolbox idea...

Old 11-09-2009, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different toolbox idea...

While i normally leave the backseat in the garage, there are those rare times when i need it in. Also, i've often got my 100lb lab in the back, so while i'm lookin at putting in a storage/toolbox of some sort, i don't want something that mounts in the tub.

Has anyone built a toolbox that attaches to the actual tailgate? Seems it would be fairly simple to take some sheetmetal and fab up a reasonably sized storage box that would stay attached to the tailgate when it swings open. Size could be completely up to the owner, whether you want it to allow for the backseat to be put in or not. Any suggestions??

-Adam
Old 11-09-2009, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Possible Solution

Check out the Dirt bagz...

http://www.jeepswag.com/dirtbagz/index.html
Old 11-09-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

those look good!!!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 01:12 PM
JK Super Freak

how large are you thinking? If it stays on the tailgate it will need to stay relatively small and light to prevent wear and tear, think about why people get aftermarket tire carriers for 35"+ tires, too much weight. I would assume any decent sized tool box would weigh a significant amount, so Id be careful.

I plan to make a storage for the 2dr with the seat in that fits perfectly and allows for protection with the top off, itll have a lid that is perfectly level with where the top meets the body
Old 11-09-2009, 01:52 PM
JK Super Freak

You could buy the ORE table, mount it so it goes down instead of up, and put a small toolbox on it.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to get your tools outside of the tub, there are three concerns (in my mind at least)

#1. Weight. Tools are heavy. The tailgate probably won't handle that weight well. I'd say get a bumper-mounted tire carrier, and mount the toolbox to that just a Jerry can would be mounted.

#2. Security. Tools are expensive, and they're on the outside of your Jeep. You don't want them growing legs.

#3. Protection. Tools can rust. Unless you live in an arid area, you'll want to make sure that whatever storage you have for them is waterproof and probably dust-proof too.

My suggestion would be to look at military surplus ammo cans. A 20mm ammo can would probably fit pretty well onto a Jerry can holder of a good tire carrier. You could bolt the cans down to the carrier, and then it wouldn't be that hard to put a hasp and a padlock on the cans.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe i wasn't very clear...i'm talkin about mounting something on the INSIDE of the tailgate, which will be secured IN the jeep when the tailgate is shut, but will swing out of the way with the tailgate when its open. I don't think the weight will be an issue: i honestly dont see myself making it large enough or packing it with enough tools to equal or exceed the weight of a tire & wheel.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by isolated1523
Maybe i wasn't very clear...i'm talkin about mounting something on the INSIDE of the tailgate, which will be secured IN the jeep when the tailgate is shut, but will swing out of the way with the tailgate when its open. I don't think the weight will be an issue: i honestly dont see myself making it large enough or packing it with enough tools to equal or exceed the weight of a tire & wheel.
No i pictured it correctly, Itd hook to the inside of the tailgate permanently and then stay on it whether open or closed.

It could work but itd have to be fairly light like you said. Do you have an estimate on size? What do you want it to hold? Maybe we can find a better solution
Old 11-09-2009, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

well i'm stuck in tucson, AZ right now so i can't get to the jeep...just somethin i started thinkin about last nite while sittin around in the hotel room. It would have to work with the subwoofer and fit behind the 2-door seat, so we're not talkin all that large. My storage compartment in the floor is already full with my emergency kit, jumper cables, etc. So maybe somethin i could line the inside of with fabric to prevent rattling, and just store some random stuff: towstraps, flashlights, couple u-joints, etc...
Old 11-09-2009, 03:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by isolated1523
well i'm stuck in tucson, AZ right now so i can't get to the jeep...just somethin i started thinkin about last nite while sittin around in the hotel room. It would have to work with the subwoofer and fit behind the 2-door seat, so we're not talkin all that large. My storage compartment in the floor is already full with my emergency kit, jumper cables, etc. So maybe somethin i could line the inside of with fabric to prevent rattling, and just store some random stuff: towstraps, flashlights, couple u-joints, etc...
Sounds like you and I are litterally planning out similar ideas, I didnt plan to make mine bolted to the tailgate but I want to make something secure and clean looking.

I too have my under-compartment full of similar items but here was my idea. . .

I plan to empty the tub, modify it to more of a squared off shape instead of round and then built a toolbox to form fit to the back, similar to the aftermarket security ones. There would be a small box-like extension that protrudes from the bottom of the box that will form fit the the newly modified tub. Then I can run some bolts from the inside of the box through the tub to bolt it down. Get some matching carpet to line the box with and itll look factory

Quick Reply: Different toolbox idea...