Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

A different kind of axle question

Old 11-19-2013, 05:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A different kind of axle question

Ok where to start... What I'm wondering is how much weight could a front dana 30 carry with stock tires and no lift. The question comes from this. When building my jeep I didn't want to do what I did last time. Which was lift, armour, winch, tires, and I just kept making it heavier so, my solution was to start with a better power plant to start so I was looking at bruiser conversions 4bt. From the numbers that I got for the engine and tranny
Stock is around 600 lb.
4bt is around 1000 lb.
Later on I will be swapping to a junkyard 60 in the front.
I guess where I'm going is should a stock dana 30 be ok or should I spend the $180 and truss it to be on the safe side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2013, 05:36 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by shocklet
Ok where to start... What I'm wondering is how much weight could a front dana 30 carry with stock tires and no lift. The question comes from this. When building my jeep I didn't want to do what I did last time. Which was lift, armour, winch, tires, and I just kept making it heavier so, my solution was to start with a better power plant to start so I was looking at bruiser conversions 4bt. From the numbers that I got for the engine and tranny
Stock is around 600 lb.
4bt is around 1000 lb.
Later on I will be swapping to a junkyard 60 in the front.
I guess where I'm going is should a stock dana 30 be ok or should I spend the $180 and truss it to be on the safe side.

I would spend the money on the truss whether you put the engine in or not. The factory 30 and 44 are prone to bending and twisting in stock configuration
Old 11-19-2013, 05:41 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Even with the d30 trussed,there other factors that need attention too.With the added torque what about the rest of the drive train
Old 11-19-2013, 05:42 AM
JK Freak

Why not? 180 is nothing compared to what you will be spending later and could save you major time and give you time to find your other upgrades
Old 11-19-2013, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah your probably right I'll just truss the damn thing. As far as the added torque. I'm gonna go easy on it I don't plan on destroying my rear diff by gunning it off the line. That being said that problem will be solved when I swap out axles. Dana60 front sterling 10.5 rear. But it will be a while before I can get them to start converting them for jk use.

Quick Reply: A different kind of axle question