Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

different death wobble problem

Old 10-11-2010, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Flat Spotting

In cold weather, when you park for a while, your tires "flat spot". In other words, the tires are no longer round until they warm up a bit. The flat spotting on the tires trigger death wobble if something isn't perfect (worn bushing, wallowed out hole, loose bolt, etc). I know many people say that a heavy duty steering stabilizer only "masks" problems. Yet many of these same people wouldn't think twice about adding heavy duty shocks after adding bigger tires. Some even put on multiple shocks (less on Jeeps and more on pickups).
So dispite what some ANTI heavy duty or dual stabilizer folks tell you, look for problems and if you can't find any problems, INSTALL A HEAVY DUTY OR DUAL STABILIZER. It's cheap and often works.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JasonS8959
ok i know there are hundreds of death wobble threads and have read them and fixed my death wobble before but this one has stumped me. to start off i have a 2007 x with 2.5 teraflex lift with 35 in. ok so i fixed my last case of death wobble which was my front trac bar broke in half, very fun drive home. here recently in the cold weather i get death wobble, doesnt happen at all when its warm outside or if it is cold after about 5 miles of driving it wont do it again either. any help would be appreciated.
When you say cold, is it freezing temperatures?

I once had a similar problem. I had used a can of fix a flat and the water in the mixture would freeze and create an ice chunk in the tire. After about five miles it would break up and the wobble would stop.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mosssr
When you say cold, is it freezing temperatures?

I once had a similar problem. I had used a can of fix a flat and the water in the mixture would freeze and create an ice chunk in the tire. After about five miles it would break up and the wobble would stop.
no its not freezing outside. right now the mornings around here are around 40-50 degrees.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cppower
Heat expands, Cold contracts.
Sounds like you have a connection/fastener/joint on the edge.
I'm guessing what they mean is you have a tie rod end or drag link end that is worn out but not to the point where it happens all the time. I'm having Kinda the same issue. I'm getting the DW only on sections of road that are rough on one side. It used to be all bumps, but I found my track bar was loose. I re-enforced the hole and added adjustable CA's and the wobble went away on 99% of the roads that I drive. When it does happen now it's less violent and I am able to get it under control without coming to a complete stop. (some would call it Bump steer). My Jeep had some vertical play in the tie rod ends and drag link ends. by their self it wasn't enough to be harmful but when you combine the movement from all of them it was a substantial amount. It's at the dealer getting new ends put on as we speak (got family that works there and was able to walk him through how I got them to move) I'll will let you know if it fixed mine. It could give you something else to look at anyway. Here's the video that i took to better help explain. Its a crappy cell phone video, but halfway through I quit shaking long enough to get a clear view.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by abock33
I'm guessing what they mean is you have a tie rod end or drag link end that is worn out but not to the point where it happens all the time. I'm having Kinda the same issue. I'm getting the DW only on sections of road that are rough on one side. It used to be all bumps, but I found my track bar was loose. I re-enforced the hole and added adjustable CA's and the wobble went away on 99% of the roads that I drive. When it does happen now it's less violent and I am able to get it under control without coming to a complete stop. (some would call it Bump steer). My Jeep had some vertical play in the tie rod ends and drag link ends. by their self it wasn't enough to be harmful but when you combine the movement from all of them it was a substantial amount. It's at the dealer getting new ends put on as we speak (got family that works there and was able to walk him through how I got them to move) I'll will let you know if it fixed mine. It could give you something else to look at anyway. Here's the video that i took to better help explain. Its a crappy cell phone video, but halfway through I quit shaking long enough to get a clear view.

thanks for the input. i will check that out.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

i just noticed that i have some play in my trac bar on the axle end. it doesnt move where it bolts up it moves around where the jam nut is? is it possible that the jam nut is loose and its giving enough play to cause this wobble?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonS8959
i just noticed that i have some play in my trac bar on the axle end. it doesnt move where it bolts up it moves around where the jam nut is? is it possible that the jam nut is loose and its giving enough play to cause this wobble?
If there is play in that bar, it will cause a wobble. I suggest you check your threads on the joint and see if they are comprimised. Not good to have a loose jamnut, the threads may be damaged.

Quick Reply: different death wobble problem